I-have-thought-about-it-and-still-do-not-know-what-to-call-this-chapter

-Sandy is not capable of being a good influence on you. You should just stay away from her to avoid letting yourself down and we the teachers that still think highly of you. You may leave,- Mrs Gladys concluded as students began filing into our class. I dragged my feet as I walked to my seat, earning myself glares from my mates which I returned of course, adding a smile. The first class was our English class. Mrs Adams had recently been promoted to teach high schoolers English after the previous teacher resigned. The moment she stepped into the class, she was welcomed by a loud cheer and hugs from some of my mates. I went to hug her but I stayed behind them, waiting for a chance to hug her. And eventually, I did not. I stepped away from them dejectedly and returned to my seat.

-A brief and due welcome to you guys into High school! I have barely seen you guys ever since but I guess we are fated with each other,- she said and winked. I glanced at my classmates and their faces mirrored mine, joyful. She began the class without further ado in her usual cheerful manner which I must say we missed.

During lunch, Sandy, Tina and I were walking to the cafeteria together while talking.

-Sandy, guess what?- Tina asked making Sandy roll her eyes.

-If you ain't telling me shit, do not then,- Sandy commented and increased her pace before twirling with her hands apart. We caught up with her in barely any time.

-I think they are at it again.-

-Who?- Sandy asked.

-The General Overseers and Advisers!- Tina laughed.

-Oh. Them,- Sandy said with a small nervous laugh.

-I think the new teacher, Mrs Gladys is one of them now. She sent for me today very early in the morning when I just arrived before going to the finals' block to see my sister.- Tina twirled this time. I only listened, instantly knowing what she was about to say.

-What did she say?- Sandy asked with a fake gasp which made me raise my brow and smile.

-She said I should stop being friends with you and following you around. You are a bad influence and would not help me and shit like that. It took me so much not to laugh or grimace or retort.-

-That's nice of her. So nice,- Sandy commented with an expression I couldn't quite decipher.

-I saw you talking to her, Tonia. What did you tell her?- Sandy asked me.

-What are you tryna say?-

-Nothing! I was just wondering if she called you to say the same thing. Yunno, y'all are the only ones she sees me with. As far as I know though, unless she stalks me, yeah,- Sandy said. I was relieved. For a second there, I thought she was trying to say that I told Mrs Gladys what she knew and thought about her. I shrugged before replying.

-Well, it was the same thing she told me. Though she listed a few reasons before saying that. Did she do the same for you?- I asked Tina, not wanting to say them by myself. Tina squinted at me and shrugged.

-Yes she did, but I may not remember. It is untrue and unimportant so I did not care to listen,- she said with a burst of loud laughter then she and Sandy high-fived each other. I knew she just did not feel like saying anything because Tina paid attention to the details of anything. Anything. I did not say anything, hoping they would let go but they turned to me and gave me inquiring looks. I raised my two palms and they slowly high-fived me while I increased my pace and went to get my meal.

-Weird!- I heard them say before laughing. They are so carefree that I envied it. I wished I was so carefree and did not worry too much about what people think about me and what they say about me, though I brag about not caring. I wished I was so carefree that I did not overthink everything I did and wanted to do. I wished I was so carefree that I did not bother thinking about changing myself.