Chapter Seven

Each thought that came to my head was a thought of action, a way to attack this predator but my body wouldn’t react to any of the plans, it just stood frozen as my friend was held captive.  Her frightened eyes widened at the figure who drooled over her neck.  She screamed in agony when the monster clutched her fighting arm, breaking it completely.  The crackling sound sent shivers down my spine but it led me back to reality. I sprang into action!  I started by trying to get the monster off Selena by punching and kicking it over but it didn’t react to any of my hits.  Its attention was all focussed on her.  I tried to find another strategy but the monster suddenly went limp and fell to the ground beside Selena as she stared in shock as I did the same.

Alex stood there gasping as he held the bloody pool cue in his hands. 

“We have to go” he whispered as he looked at both of us and ran to the next tree. 

Why didn’t I think of that?! I was useless.  If Alex hadn’t been here, Selena would have been killed by this immobile monster and I would have just watched as my body couldn’t react.

I sighed and tried to vanquish all my depressing thoughts and helped Selena up.  I struggled a few times because each time I helped her up, pain struck her arm each time.  She sat up against the tree as the monster lied motionless beside her legs.

“Just get me away from this thing.  I don’t care if it hurts, just get me up.” Selena demanded as I quickly rushed to get her up.  In one movement, I put her to her feet as she gasped but anything to get away from this thing right?

I put her unharmed arm around my neck and forced her to put her weight on me.  I must admit, she was very light but I guess she was trying to walk as well even though her legs just weren’t responding.  Her body hasn’t comprehended what just happened.  I couldn’t blame her; to be attacked out of the blue would just send signals of terror all through your body.  I looked out for Alex and sighted him at the next tree           looking out for any motion.  He looked back at us signalled for us to come to him.

We both started walking towards him as he waited for us.  Hopefully we were quiet enough for anything to hear us.  Successfully we reached Alex at the next tree but sounds of numerous growling were heard.  The pack of monsters came to sight, one after the other just trampling along the road in different walking motions.  They slowly walked past us and headed towards the creature that lied on the ground.  My mouth was open from the astonishment of these creatures.  They each looked different.  Some had blonde hair that rutted with dirt; some had brown hair that just looked greasy.   These were all once people that lived in my town, that I probably walked by but never knew them.  I didn’t recognise a single one of those people that are now monsters. Maybe it was because of the dirt and the blood that covered them but it made me want to know them so badly so I could confirm the  lives that were ended so terribly rather than have a mind just wondering what happened to them. 

The three of us stumbled around the tree, trying to hide ourselves behind it, hoping that we would not get seen.  Selena winced as she put her back against the tree.  I could tell she was in pain every time she moved.  Alex and I stared at the monsters hoping they didn’t hear the small whine from her lips.  We relaxed as they still headed towards the motionless creature.

Alex caught my attention as he signalled towards a house.  It was a white two storey house but it looked spooky, like nothing lived in it for years.  It was like one of those houses in a horror movie that you dared to go in.  I grabbed a hold of Selena as she leaned against me.  The three of us tip-toed away from the tree as slowly we could.  We made sure that we watched our backs in every direction, carefully studying the creatures who had not noticed us yet.

The crunching of the leaves mixing along with the grass beneath our feet was louder than a siren to our ears.  We just hoped that they didn’t have abnormal hearing too.  Alex led us to the road, I guess it would be much quieter and he was right.  It was a lot quieter as our panic became calmer but we never lost eyesight of the creatures that were now going the opposite direction.  The three of us headed to the creepy house as we opened the gate as it creaked. The sound roared into the stillness of the road as we looked back but nothing moved.  Alex took the lead again and treaded around to the back of the house lifting his weapon, getting ready for the unexpected.  We trailed behind as we looked out to the road looking for any threats.

Alex walked around the yard as he showed his hand, telling us to stay.  We watched Alex creep on to the porch as he then took a deep breath then opened the door.  He looked back to us and smiled and told us to come as we ran to him.  Slowly walking into the dark house, the atmosphere made me shiver.  Step by step, we walked through the hallway into the kitchen as it seemed with the high cupboards and the stove underneath.  I sat Selena down on a high stool as she rested her arm on the bench, wincing in pain.  Alex disappeared in another room looking for anything.  I opened up the cupboards and looked for something for Selena or for us for our journey.  But there was nothing useful in the kitchen except for some saucepans, plates and glasses. 

“The people who lived here are already gone.” Alex walked to us as he coldly said.   He sighed and sat next to Selena on the bench.  I stared at him, he was tired but that didn’t stop him from moving.  He sat back up again and searched the house.  I copied him, walking in and out of the different rooms.  I came across a small one, well smaller than the other rooms.  It appeared to be the bathroom as the walls were painted white with a bath tub sitting against one of them.  I headed straight to the white wooden cupboards and to my luck there were bandages.  I quickly grabbed all of them, clasping them all in my arms and ran back to Selena.  She just stared down at her arm but suddenly looked up as I approached her.  I smiled and sat next to her as she saw the bandages and turned to face me.  I told her to put her in an L position hoping she didn’t have to move it too much but she groaned in pain for every movement she did.

I started bandaging her arm up but kept hesitating as she winced but she told me to keep going.  I admired her bravery, by now if I was in this position, I wouldn’t have been able to stop crying.  I knew I had to change, I was weak and in this situation, I need to be strong for not just myself but for the others too. 

I sighed and kept bandaging Selena’s arm to her chest.

“This is probably the best I can do.”

“Thanks Ro.”  She pulled up a little smile but then sighed with a frown. 

“Alright, this is the best I could find.” Alex came to sight with his hands filled with two brooms, a baseball bat and a bag. 

“Why do we need the bag?” I stared confusedly at the back pack hanging from his hands.

“Well we need to carry the medical stuff and water and you know.” Alex replied as he lifted the bag up on the bench.  Selena nodded and grabbed what she could with her free hand and shoved them in the bag.  I also responded and looked in the fridge and could see what Alex meant by water.  There were bottles of water filled up on the side.  I grabbed five of them and shoved them in the bag as well.

“Alright, guess we better go now.” Selena depressing said as Alex and I looked at each other.  I half smiled at him but he didn’t respond with the same.  I frowned when he walked away.  He headed to the windows and peeped out of them.  Selena caught my frown and stared at Alex then smiled to me following a quiet chuckle.  I glared at her and she continued to smile.  I went to help her up but she faced her palms to me which usually meant stop.  I followed her instruction and stopped right where I was.  She seemed calmer now as she got on her two feet without hesitation. 

“Oh…god.”

Alex suddenly dropped his weapons.  They landed on the wooden floor with two loud thuds! Selena and I both flinched from the unexpected fault that Alex had just made.  Something bad was about to happen! 

I rushed over to Alex’s frozen body and stood in front of him but he never looked away from the window.  I turned to see what his eyes were so fixed on but now I saw it or should I say them