Help Arrived

Desert POV:

A dark stain dominates a leaf of one of the many plants on the floor of Fangorn Forest. Gimli touches the stain and brings it up to his mouth. He spits out the offending substance, "Orc blood." We scour the forest floor, following the tracks of the Hobbits. Legolas follows closely, and Gimli joins them. Aragorn suddenly halts regarding his latest findings, "These are strange tracks."  

Gimli fearfully gazes around, "The air is so close in here." Legolas looks about the Forest as if feeling it, "This Forest is old. Very old. Full of memory... and anger." I gaze around as low groans reverberate throughout the Forest. Gimli gasps and raises his axe. "The trees are speaking to each other." Legolas whispers. I turn to Gimli, who is fearfully waving his axe about, looking for foes. "Gimli!" I whispered/shouted. Gimli starts at the sound of his name. Aragorn gestures to the dwarf, "Lower your axe." 

Gimli recollects himself and lowers his axe as if surrendering. Legolas reverently speaks, "They have feelings, my friend. The Elves began it. Waking up the trees, teaching them to speak."  Gimli scoffs in disbelief, "Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about? Except the consistency of squirrel droppings." Legolas grabs my hand and continues walking through the Forest. Instantly, Legolas senses something and runs off for a better look, "Aragorn, nad nâ ennas!" 

I follow Legolas as he searches the Forest with Aragorn behind him. "Man cenich?" Aragorn whispers. "The White Wizard approaches." Legolas's eyes narrowed as the hunters weighed the gravity of this pronouncement. "Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us." Aragorn readies his sword. Gimli grips his axes, and Legolas nocks an arrow. 

I knew who it was, "Guys-" Aragorn interrupts, "We must be quick." With a yell, the three swing around to attack; a bright light envelops them from the Wizard. Gimli throws his axe, but it is shattered... Legolas launches an arrow... it is deflected... Aragorn's sword becomes red hot in his grasp... it clatters to the forest floor. They all shield their eyes from the blinding light emanating from the White Wizard. "You are tracking the footsteps of two young Hobbits." He spoke. 

"Where are they?" Aragorn shouts. I shield my eyes as the White Wizard answers, "They passed this way the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?" I certainly was... 

"Who are you? Show yourself!" 

The White Wizard recalls his light... slowly, his face is revealed... standing before us, dressed all in white, is Gandalf. I turn my eyes to see Aragorn looking upon him, astounded, "It cannot be." Legolas is kneeling, "Forgive me. I mistook you for Saruman." Gimli joins Legolas in bowing before the light of Gandalf. 

"I am Saruman. Or rather, Saruman as he should have been." Gandalf spoke. "You fell." Aragorn gasps. Gandalf nods, "Through fire and water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth. Until, at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as a life age of the Earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again. I've been sent back... until my task is done." 

"Gandalf." Aragorn moves to the Wizard. Gandalf, momentarily confused, looks to Aragorn, "Gandalf? Yes." He smiles, "That's what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name." 

Gimli takes a step forward, "Gandalf." Gandalf holds his smile, "I am Gandalf the White." Legolas and I grin. Gandalf continues, "And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide." Gandalf leads us through the Forest. He wears his Elven Cloak over his white robes, "One stage of the journey is over, another begins. We must travel to Edoras with all speed." 

"Edoras? That is no short distance!" Gimli gruffs. "We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king." Gandalf stops and turns to Aragorn, "Yes, and it will not be easily cured." Gimli strolls next to Gandalf, "Then we have run all this way for nothing? Are we to leave those poor Hobbits here in this horrid, dark, dank tree-infested--?" The Forest responds to Gimli's complaints with a low rumble. Gimli stops and looks around fearfully, "I mean, charming... quite charming forest." He smiles, and the rumbling ceases. 

"It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains." Gandalf answers Gimli. "In one thing, you have not changed, dear friend." Aragorn chuckles, and Gandalf leans close to him. "You still speak in riddles." 

They laugh. "A thing is about to happen that has not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong." Gandalf spoke. Gimli smiles nervously, "Strong?! Oh, that's good."  

"Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact, they are far safer than you are about to be." 

Gimli mutters to himself, "This new Gandalf's more grumpy than the old one." Gimli trudges after the rest of the party. I gently touched a tree and felt it shutter, "Tasarë maid..." The tree spoke. I walked out of the Forest as Gandalf whistled piercingly. It echoes off into the distance. He whistles again. As the echo dies out, a neigh answers him. We all watch, waiting.

A magnificent white horse gallops toward Gandalf over a nearby hill. Gandalf smiles. The boys stood by their steeds, looking upon the approaching mount in awe. "That is one of the Mearas unless my eyes are cheated by some spell." Legolas murmurs. The horse gallops across the plain and comes to a stop in front of Gandalf, "Shadowfax. He is the lord of all horses... and has been my friend through many dangers." Gandalf walks up to Shadowfax and strokes his neck. We start to make haste in riding across the vast plains to our destination at Edoras.

I had my arms wrapped around Legolas's waist as Gimli rode with Aragorn. "Mellon nin," Legolas peeks over his shoulder at me, "You are full of surprises." I giggled, "Full of surprises? Because I knew that..."

"Gandalf was alive the entire time? Yes." The Elf chuckles; the horse catches up with the others. I rested my head against his back, feeling the horse galloping, slowly drifting to sleep.

(Something is out there)

(What do you see?)

(Willow Maid)