6

Era shook the nerves from her hands as she stepped out of the testing room, suppressing a yawn as a headache threatened to bloom at her temples. Shit. That could have gone better.

Why did she need to know any of that shit anyway? And those ethics questions? Give me a break.

She’d expected UA’s exam to be a little different than most, but what kind of school gave the trolley problem to a bunch of hopefuls? And then expected them to write a god damn essay about it?

Not to mention the fact that Era was certain she could have done better, had she been able to get any sleep last night. But no, she had to be weak and let her mounting anxiety get the best of her, had to let it sit and stew and simmer in her chest until she felt that she might burst if she didn’t get off her ass and get something, anything done.

Yeah, she’d definitely have done better if she hadn’t been patrolling all night. Idiot. Her leg still ached from where a bullet had nicked her femoral artery, and she was sure that there was a nasty scar and a sickly bruise beneath her pants even though the bullet had been removed hours ago.

“This is not my fucking day,” she murmured beneath her breath, gazing out over the sea of applicants through hooded eyes.

Everyone was breaking for lunch, taking the chance to rest and recover before the mysterious practical portion of the exam. For her part, Era had a bag of potato chips and half a bottled water. So she was in a bit of a rush this morning, sue her.

Era managed to find a quiet corner by herself where she wasn’t likely to be bothered by any overly friendly strangers and she could eat her stale chips in peace. Maybe even get some rest while she was at it… a quick little nap couldn’t hurt. Just… just fifteen minutes. She leaned back, letting her eyes fall closed for only a moment.

“You there! Were you planning on just lazing about? Do you have no respect for the sanctity of this exam?”

Era repressed the groan that bubbled up her throat, cracking open a single eye to glare at whoever had spoken. The kid had glasses, blue-hair, and a stern expression that bordered on hostile, and honestly at this point she wasn’t really inclined to look past that.

“Dude. Do you… make a habit of this? I’m just resting. Preparing for whatever the practical’s gonna be.”

He paused for a moment, seeming to seriously consider this response, before falling into a near perfect bow.

“Of course! Ensuring you are well rested for the challenge ahead speaks to great foresight! I apologize for my rudeness.”

“Uh… accepted?”

He straightened once more, adjusting his glasses. “I am Iida Tenya, by the way.”

The boy—Iida—paused almost expectantly. Era sighed.

“Suzuki Era. Nice to meet you.”

“And you as well!”

“R… right. Of course.” She paused, delicately turning the situation over in her mind, desperately trying to find some way to get this kid to leave her alone so she could get some fucking sleep before—

A bell rang, shrill and piercing. Era suppressed yet another groan as Iida’s head snapped towards the noise.

“Ah, that must be the signal for testing to resume. Well, good luck Suzuki!”

“Yeah… you too.” She wearily watched him march off before gathering her scant possessions and rising to follow.

“Hold it, you fucking nerd.”