Ch 19.2: The game of the Gods

Blue was the first thing Ella saw when her eyes fluttered open.

Midnight blue, stars, and dark green foliage. She blinked at the ceiling of the library, blissfully painted and illuminated by dozens of candles, as her body began to recover sensation.

The second thing she became aware of was sound. The loud splattering of rain on the windows interspersed with hail crashing above. Then, voices. Much louder than even the rain.

"-- what else are we supposed to do? Smelling salts? Is that what ladies use when they get the vapours and faint?" It sounded like Val, rambling in consternation.

"She didn't faint, Valren, for Mother's sake," Blaise said, huffing like a bull. "Smelling salts will do nothing for her."

"Well, she's been twitching like a fish out of water for almost an hour," she hissed. "Her eyes are white. That can't be normal. We should get Sulimona at least. Or maybe if I spray her with some water--"

"For the last time, it's a vision! Sit down, you're making me nervous."

Ella winced and stirred, wanting to tell them to be quiet, but she couldn't quite find the strength yet. It always took some time for her body to become accustomed to being corporeal after a period of plane travelling. It was an unpleasant sensation, much like stepping on dry land after being on water for long.

She settled for grumbling and squinting against the too-bright lights of the room. Beneath her, she felt the floor sway. Belatedly, she realised that it was no floor she was lying on, rather, it was a strong, sturdy lap.

Golden eyes peered down at her, relief pooling in their depth. Aedion, touching cool fingertips to her temples, pillowing her head on his lap.

"Oh, I'm sorry Blaisey, I didn't know you were an expert on--"

"Hush, both of you. She's awake," Aedion interrupted, swatting at them to be quiet, anxiously peering down at Ella. "How are you feeling?"

Ella managed a groan and shaded her eyes with her hand. From the dark, cavernous temple, it was jarring to be thrust into the warm, candle-lit library.

"Good going, you scared her with your ugly mug," Val whispered. "Imagine waking up and seeing that first thing."

Aedion tutted and ignored her. He looked at Ella with a puckered brow. "Can you move yet?"

Ella nodded and tried to lift up on her shaky elbows. Instantly, Aedion's hands hooked beneath her arms and helped her into a sitting position. Gingerly, she brought her fingertips to her eyes and scrubbed away the bleariness.

"H'llo," she managed, blinking at her companions.

"How are you feeling?" Blaise called, coming to stand near her and analysing her with his shrewd gaze as if looking for signs of anything amiss. He handed her a glass of water, which she gratefully gulped down in three deep sips.

"Sore, but fine," she answered honestly, clearing her scratchy throat.

"You scared the living daylights out of me," Val muttered, taking her glass and filling it once more. Despite her nonchalance, the worry lining her features warmed Ella enough to fight off the exhaustion.

Ella managed a tired, playful smile. "Sorry, I'll be sure to notify you a few days beforehand next time I decide to have a prophetic vision."

Val huffed and let herself fall on the ground as well.

Ella stretched out her legs and winced at the static sensation tingling through her cramped calves and feet. "How long was I gone for?"

"Almost an hour," Aedion answered, still kneeling beside her. His brow scrunched in consternation. "What happened?"