O N E

Best friends, no matter what. 

What a lie. 

2 years. 2 years we kept in touch and then everything fell apart. Visits, became calls, calls became texts, texts became 'read 4 years ago'. It wasn't even a surprise that he made it, he clearly has talent, even a baby could see that.

I scoff and throw the photo of João and me into a cardboard box. After he cut ties with us, yes Isabella Théo and Alexander as well, we were utterly disappointed in him. 

Fortunately, we are still a happy group of friends living in Porto, obviously all grown up though we still carry that childish part in us, but we don't talk about him anymore. He broke his word and even made me do a pinky promise. Which I hate and now despise. How could he forget us just like that?

As if we are one of his footballs that he gets to play and kick. Damn, he made me believe his promise and I was stupid for accepting it , now he is just a draft from a book, maybe important in the moment but thrown away afterwards as if it wasn't there.

I rub my eyes tiredly and fill the box without thinking too much about the pictures. Today the group will lose another member, not forever but temporarily. My uncle, a British physiotherapist somewhere in London, invited me to stay with him for three months.

Despite the long distance, we get along well and he occasionally asks me to visit for a week. Of course, I've done some sightseeing in London during that week, but this time three months is a long time.

Mamã was not sure if this was a good idea, but I insisted that I would behave well and even look for a job so I could improve my social skills. After dad convinced mamã I got the green light. I'm eternally grateful for his help.

So I'm packing up some stuff, well, this box won't go with me, but I thought I'd clean up the old memories and put them in the back of my closet.

It certainly stings, but it's been six years since he left. If he can move on so quickly, why can't I?

The box lands with a thud and I close my almost empty closet. Three months takes a lot of clothes to pack. A creak from my door interrupts my wandering thoughts. "Are you ready? Théo and Alexander are already here, although Alexander is already flirting with your mother" Isabelle shrugs at the latter as her head pokes through my door. I groan and throw my head back.

Today is my last day in Porto and my friends insisted on a bonfire. "Can't that boy leave my poor mamã alone?" I grab my last backpack and saunter towards the door. Isabelle chuckles lightly. "You know how he is."

── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

"Louna! Honey how are you?" Uncle John hugs me tightly. I missed him a lot. "Well I would say everything is fine, but everything would be a lot, wouldn't it?" He smiles warmly and squeezes my shoulders.

I swear he is not ageing, he is still the same broad man with almost grey hair that sticks out in random directions.

"You smart girl, I'm glad you arrived safely." He pinches my cheeks and I smile away my discomfort. He then picks up a couple of my suitcases and carries them to his car. 

My phone rings in the pocket of my jacket and after struggling to get it out because the zip was stuck, I finally manage to accept the facetime call. 

My friends appear in a blur and through a few glitches. "Finally took long enough!" scoffs Alexander. I roll my eyes and whisper a quick thank you to John who takes over my bags and puts them in the car trunk. He closes it with a soft click and guides me to the passenger seat.

"I've only just arrived, but I'm safe, thanks for asking Alexander." I reply cheekily and fasten my seat belt. A few snorts of laughter echo through the device and I bring John into view. "Johny John, so good to see you!" Théo pops up in pieces due to the poor connection. My uncle chuckles and waves before driving out of his spot and onto the road.

Soft rain begins to fall on the windows, slightly blocking our view, but my uncle quickly turns on the wipers. "You've got to be kidding me, the weather in Porto is much better than in London." I groan, but make myself comfortable in the car and fold one leg over my other. 

"Well, you can always come back." Isabella speaks up jokingly and I see her in front of a desk drawing on a paper. I grin slightly and shake my head. "Nice try, but I'm stuck here for three months with my favourite uncle." I drag out the last part so I get a reaction from John and I get it. 

"Oh shush you flatterer." He shoves my arm and shakes his head with a beaming smile across his face. 

"Ding ding ding ding ding! Ten points for Lounie, the favourite niece!" Alexander makes a drum roll and I roll my eyes again, but cannot hide my smile. What a bunch of idiots.

"Shit, I have to eat, but keep us posted Lounie. I wouldn't want to miss your interesting life." Théo wiggles his eyebrows suggestively and I understand what he means. "Oh fuck off." My face turns crimson and suddenly the view outside is very attractive. 

"Thanks, eat hearty too, Lounnie! Anyways Théo out!" He makes a dramatic exit and the rest follow as their food is also ready. "What an idiot, but wish him a nice meal and you guys too, bye!" I wave one last time and then hang up.

"They are nice, they should come and visit sometime too." John breaks the silence after the call and I turn to look at him. "Really?" It would be really cool if they're in London too, then we can take a city trip and do lots of fun things. The thought sounds very appealing.

 "Yeah, I still have an empty flat in London you can use if they decide to come over. I thought it would be nice for you. And since it is empty, it could use some life."

John shrugs as if he has said the most normal thing in his life, but my eyes widen and I look at him dumbfounded. He eyes me out of the corner of his eye after he turns a corner. "What, you don't like it? I can always-"

"No! I mean, wow, that's amazing. I'm just speechless and this was so random. I will ask them if they want to come over next month otherwise it's a bit short of the mark."

He grins softly and stops in front of his house. "Sounds good, but for now you are stuck with me young lady" The car door closes and I follow him to the trunk. I smile and gather most of my things. He is certainly not poor, on the contrary he is quite rich, but I don't mind he is a sweet hard working man so he totally deserves it.

"Whatever you say, old man." I joke and he sends me a glare, but it's replaced within a minute by a friendly smile.

A/N:

Kinda forgot an author's note, oops.

This is chap one, the beginning is a bit boring, but once she'll meet João, it gets interesting ;)

-Camille