<< Chapter One >>

With the smell of cinnamon in the air alongside freshly brewed coffee, humming could be heard echoing through the hallway of a small apartment complex. The complex had only three levels to it, nestled into a far corner of Los Angeles. Surrounded by traffic, shops, and schools, this area was not only busy, but some people are able to make the most out of it. Being connected with their city gives them more motivation than anything. Though, in this apartment complex, younger couples, freshmen in college, and even elderly people are able to make it their own. A warm and inviting nest. Though, some nests are never warm nor inviting.

 Evil finds its way, slithering into the hearts of the innocent and stripping them of their purity. This evil imparticular, came in the form of smoke. Thick, black, heavy smoke which will soon find its way into their victim's mouth and set into their lungs. 

But, before evil, nature shall run its course. When nature is done, evil takes the opportunity to steal it.

The clink of a cup echoed throughout the small apartment as the older gentleman set his cup of tea on the wooden kitchen table. With a heavy sigh, the man sat down in his chair, the old wood creaking as he relaxed in his seat. Heavy eyes looked at the other end of the room, scanning the empty space that was once full. Tears soon collected and spilled down the old man's face, his lip quivering at the mere thought of the woman who used to sit across from him many years ago. Taking a shaky breath, the man picked up the blue tea cup and brought it to his lips. The warm liquid swirled in his mouth before he swallowed, a frown forming as he set the cup down once again. 

She always made the tea right. Added just enough honey and cinnamon after letting the tea steep in the floral teapot that she had adored for so long. Now, the tea was bland. Not enough honey, but too much cinnamon. The liquid resembled dirty water and tasted like such too. 

More tears started to fill the old man's eyes, his face turning red as his clutch on the tea cup gradually got harder. With a scream escaping the man's lungs, he outstretched his arm and tossed the cup across the room. Hot tea flew out of the cup as the cup came into contact with a small candle that was innocently sitting on the coffee table in the living room. With the wick still set aflame, the candle tipped over and rolled. Falling off the small coffee table and slowly rolling away, it stopped beside a pair of beige curtains that shielded the inside from any light. As the old man held his head in his hands, letting the tears freely flow from his face and onto the table, the flame jumped onto the corner of one of the curtains, slowly engulfing the new real estate. Tilting his head up and resting his chin in the palm of his hands, he sat there in silence. The flame grew, hungry for more as it continued to crawl up the curtains and soon spread across the ceiling, desperate for more. The man opened his eyes, tears hung from his eyelashes as he wiped his face, taking in a deep breathe. 

But he couldn't. Coughing as his breath was cut short, he put a hand on his chest. Looking up, he realized what he has done. Smoke filled the room, the fire dancing effortlessly across the room. The man shot up to his feet, knocking the old wooden chair back. Holding the collar of his shirt to his mouth as he continued to cough, the older man scurried to the window. Of course this was hard given that his cane was still in the kitchen, leaning upon the counter that had the floral teapot that was once cherished. Once he got to the window, he tried lifting it open. It moved, but only a little. The man cried out in pain as he tried once again, but his once strong arms couldn't bare the weight anymore. Coughing again as black smoke swirled within the living room the man stumbled back. 

His chest burned as he swallowed the black smoke. Invading his lungs. His chest roared in pain as the man fell to his knees, unable to take a breath. As the man collapsed, smoke happily jumped onto his clothing. Dancing along his body, the older man cried out with little strength he had. With one final breath, the smoke made its way into his lungs freely. 

This was it.

 Hatred and bitterness were left in his heart. Evil consumed what little humanity he had left. 

                                                                              And it won 

However, he will not be alone. For he has doomed more than one soul that day. Souls that could have been saved. Some were, but not all.  Screams filled the late afternoon air as the flames consumed the once old beloved apartment complex. 

"H-Hey!" 

Yelped one of the doomed souls, trying to get the attention of someone walking down the sidewalk. With tears in their eyes, they desperately waved their arms in the air while leaning out of their window from the third floor. 

"Please! Somebody help!" 

Their desperate cries were barely audible as the flames roared. The individual slowly turned around, their chocolate brown eyes connecting with their tear-filled (e/c) eyes. For a moment, it felt like it all clicked together. 

Just for a moment. 

A frown slowly sunk his face as the man watched as the person helplessly cried out for help. With a quick shrug, he pulled his black hood over his head and turned on his heels. Briskly walking away, he ignored the screams that echoed loudly throughout the street. Suddenly his feet stop. Frozen in place, the man stood there silently. As if possessed, the man's head snapped back, his eyes rolling into the back of his head. Groaning in pain as he relaxed, head now down and his shoulders slumped. A sigh escaped his lips as he stood up, turning around and looking at the smouldering building 

                                       No... I won't you do that... Not to someone innocent  

Shaking his head and running his hands through his sweat coated hair, he gulped what little there was in his dry mouth. He watched as the flames reached endlessly into the sky on the burning building.

                                                                        She wouldn't want this...

Now fully running towards the building, the hood fell off his head. With sweat beads rolling down his forehead, he ran towards the building. The heat was intense as he approached. Then, within a second, he vanished. 

Black smoke filled the small apartment, (Y/N) struggled to get the front door open. Yelping in pain, they stumbled back, their hand red and burned from the heat of the handle. Whimpering in fear, (Y/N) backed away from the door. No fire escape and no help around. No one to hear their screams. Falling to their knees, lungs filling with smoke with every choked inhale. Warmth wrapped around them, almost like an embrace. As darkness consumed their vision as they desperately tried to gasp for air, suddenly, it was cold. 

Cold... and loud?

Opening their eyes, they were someone different. Their hands were on cement rather than wood from their apartment. The air was crisp and cold, (Y/N) gasping for the now clean air. Chocking and coughing, they staggered to their feet as they take in their surroundings. They were across the place they once called home right as a fire truck rounded the corner. It was as if time stood still. 

Just for a moment

Watching from affar, he lifted the hood back onto his head and sighed deeply. Turning around once more, the stranger continued his journey. He looked over his shoulder and watched as the building was swarmed with fire trucks and ambulances, where EMA quickly rushed over to the fragile individual. Turning back around, he looked down at his hands. Red and blue hues immenated from him, his hands seeming to glitch and distort at odd angels.

"It's getting worse..."

       Celine... What do I do now...?