Confused Puppy

•.*\ ϟ /*.•

A/N: You are a Slytherin in this.

I can't remember what year he was in in the photo above, but I'm guessing either fifth or sixth year? Correct me if I'm wrong, please, so I can fix my writing below if need be lol

~ * ϟ * ~

     More often than not, you'd always found yourself looking at Neville in class or in the Great Hall.

     You already thought he was cute - he always was, and your opinion never changed - but you noticed that he often wore an expression that made him look like a confused puppy. Of course, it only made him cuter, but it was also quite funny.

     You'd mentioned the "confused puppy" expression to Ginny and Hermione a couple times, and they enthusiastically agreed.

     On the way to the Great Hall for lunch, you walked beside Neville as you usually did when you had the chance.

     You pondered telling him about the cute expression he often wore when he had no idea what the bloody hell was happening for a moment, and ultimately decided to do so. "Have I told you that you look like a confused puppy most of the time?" you asked, tilting your head with a cheeky grin, watching his face as you walked alongside him.

     The boy you addressed looked at you with the exact quizzical expression you'd just asked about. "What?" he replied, feeling the sudden urge to wring the fingers of his right hand with his left out of sudden nerves. "Uh, how?"

     You chuckled, turning to face the front as you clasped your hands behind the small of your back.

     "I often see you in class when you don't understand something a professor says," you started, "or in the Great Hall when you have no idea what someone's talking about. You get confused and it shows very much on your face."

     He raised a hand to touch the corner of his mouth, furrowing his eyebrows in sudden self awareness.

     You glanced to the side at him, noting how he seemed to be overthinking. "Oh, don't worry," you smiled as he looked back at you with a slightly worried expression, "it's not a bad thing." You stopped walking, and he followed suit, facing you completely. "It's quite cute, actually, hence why I said 'confused puppy'. Puppies are cute, and so are you."

     His face started turning a light shade of pink, and his eyes dropped to the ground. He felt his body heat rise, and you relished in how easy it was to make him blush.

     You'd always been cheeky and blunt, which made sense, since you were a Slytherin. You'd always thought it was fun to tease Neville due to your interest in him, and it never ceased to fluster him.

     In first year, you basically saw him and might as well have declared, "You are adorable and you are now mine. I have chosen you, whether you like it or not."

     He never seemed to mind, however, and everyone could see that you treated him kindly. The teasing was harmless, only a ruse to make him blush once in a while. Your kindness toward him and respect toward other Gryffindors earned their mutual respect for you, and they grew to be quite fond of you, so they only laughed under their breaths when their dear friend was under the usual teasing you'd put him under.

     You never grew bored of him, even now, five years later.

     You took a couple steps toward him, so you were merely several inches apart, and you gently but teasingly poked his cheek with a grin. "I mean what I say," you mutter, removing your finger to place your hand firmly on the side of his face. "I'm not teasing you when I say that I genuinely do think you are adorable."

     His nervous eyes finally found yours, and he couldn't help the small smile that lit up his warming face.

     "Uh, tha-thank you," he stuttered a little, making your heart practically melt.

     "Never knew such a cute lion could make a cold-hearted serpent feel all warm and fuzzy inside," you chuckled, letting your hand slide off of his face. "I'm covered in scales, you're the one with the fur. Kind of ironic, don't you think?"

     He briefly found himself missing the warmth your hand provided. Though, he nodded in agreement. His smile grew larger, and, with a surprising and sudden boost of confidence, he reached out a little to grab your hand - the one that had previously taken temporary residence on his cheek.

     Your eyes widened and you looked down at his hand that had taken yours, and that caused his confidence to wane immediately.

     "I-I'm sorry, I should have asked-" he stammered, looking away from your face and attempting to retract his hand, but the movement and his words were halted when your hand tightened around his to keep it there. He looked back up at your face in confusion, which made your smile widen.

     With your other hand, you tapped his nose with your index finger. "Confused puppy," you snarked, making him chuckle. "Now come, it's time to eat lunch."

     He sighed contentedly, letting you lead him to the Great Hall, following without question.

     This boy really did resemble a puppy in more ways than one.

•.*\ ϟ /*.•