{1} Updated

The textbook in your hands felt heavy as you hurried back down the corridor. Echoes befell your surroundings with each footstep along the empty chamber as your eyes fell upon your goal. Having left the 'lesson' early to retrieve the hardback book in your hands, you hoped you'd made it back in time to catch him as he left. More footsteps filled the silence as the door your gaze was fixed on creaked open, signalling you to your perfect timing as the rest of your classmates exited the Room of Requirement. Weaving your way through the crowd that had filled the small corridor in order to find the one you'd returned for, you made note that he wasn't within the swarm of people and he must have remained within the room which didn't disappear as soon as the last of the crowd left the doorway. A small nod from George accompanied by an almost miss-able look of uncertainty from Fred left the hallway in front of your clear as you rounded the corner through the doorway. Your footsteps slowed as your hands traced over the gold lettering inlayed in the fraying leather of the textbook now tightly clutched between your fingers as your eyes fell on the target of your search.

"Harry! I've got your textb-..." An intake of breath cut off your voice as you registered what you were looking at. As first assumed Harry was there, but he wasn't alone. Lip-locked with a crying Cho Chang, he didn't even notice your presence, even as the book you had so loving brought fell to the floor with a thump as it slipped from your fingers and onto the hard metal grates that covered the floor. It took a moment for your thoughts to catch up, but soon you had turned tail and let your feet carry you out of the room quicker than you had arrived. Every corridor passed in a blur, bumping past shoulders, gaze fixed to the floor as your vision grew hazy with tears that threatened to fall. You didn't have a destination, you just had to leave.

~

"Have you seen Y/N?" Hermione's gaze fell across the table to the two males in her presence. Heads turned to signal no, causing Hermione's face to contort into a look of concern.

"Chill out," Ron's sausage stuffed mouth tried to reassure her, "she disappears all the time." Swatting at Ron's hand before he could shove another sausage into his already full mouth, Hermione's concern turned to irritation.

"She never misses a meal, Ronald. And you call yourself her friend," she spat, harshly enough that even Ron hesitated before continuing to eat.

"When was the last time one of you saw her?" Ron just shrugged, shovelling mash potatoes onto his plate like he hadn't eaten in weeks. Hermione flashed him a quick look of disgust before turning her attention to Harry.

"I haven't seen her since she left DA early," he spoke, as if trying to recall a memory he didn't have.

"You didn't see her when she came back?" A voice butted in and a glance down the table revealed the culprit. Fred looked back at Harry expectantly. The confused look painted across his features gave Fred his answer.

"She came back right at the end, as everyone left, with a book or something? It would have been kind of hard to miss her," George backed his twin's exclamation.

"I mean, I found my History of Magic textbook on the floor as I left, but I didn't see her leave it." Harry looked at his two friends for reassurance.

"Harry was a bit occupied; you see." Ron smirked at his friend, giving him a rough nudge, making Harry smirk back proudly. The table quickly fell silent as they realised the topic had drifted inappropriately from their friend's disappearance.

"She'll be back later, I'm sure. We just got to grab her some leftovers and wait up for her and everything will be fine tomorrow," Ron did his best to reassure Hermione as he noticed her face fall. She nodded lightly and started scooping food onto a spare plate.

"Get her some dessert too, will you Ron?"

~

The candles through light across the room as they danced over the wick of their lamps, the castle now plunged into darkness, the clock ticking closer to midnight with every passing second.

"Something's wrong," Hermione's eyes had been glued to the portrait doorway for the last hour. "She should be back by now." Ron clasped a reassuring hand on her shoulder, unease now creeping into his own mind as the sky darkened and the hours passed. Harry's eyes struggled to stay open, barely paying attention to the room as all he could think of was sleep.

"Can we sleep?" the question slipped out before he could even think.

"Excuse me?" Careful steps were to be taken now, as to not enrage Hermione any further.

"I just mean, I know she's been through some stuff, but it's late, and it won't help anyone if we stay up." The silence that followed his statement only brought fear for his life.

"Been through, 'some stuff'?" Hermione's eyebrows were raised, she looked ready to hurt him.

"Mate, her entire family got murdered." Knowing that letting Hermione keep talking would rile her up more, Ron attempted to bridge the gap himself.

"So? Mine did too and I'm not out keeping other people up." Harry left the pair's mouth agape and tension was rising quickly.

"I know this is the sleep deprivation talking, so I'll give you a chance to take that back." Ron was almost having to hold Hermione back.

"We can deal with this better in the morning." Harry turned quickly and headed up towards the dorm rooms.

"Harry Potter, you come back here right now," Hermione whispered harshly, as not to wake the rest of the castle with her anger. But her anger was to no avail as Harry ignored her and rounded the corner out of the pair's sight.