I'll be here - Original

My family has always had problems. First, my mom turned to drugs, then she died while driving to pick me up from a friend's house because she was high and swerved into oncoming traffic. Once she passed my father turned to alcohol and the more he drank, the angrier he got. He and my brother never forgave me for my mom's death.

It was the one time I was allowed to go over to a friend's house and it got my mother killed. Her addiction aside, she was my best friend. When she wasn't high we would spend the day gossiping, shopping, or cooking in the kitchen. I already blamed myself for her death but my dad never let me forget.

Every day when I come home from work I try to rush up to my room before he can see me. I'm 19 and have wanted to move out for so long, but anytime I try to save up money my dad steals it for alcohol or my brother uses it to throw parties and do dumb shit. So when I turned 18 I started a secret bank account where I put a small percentage of my check every week. Enough not to draw attention, but also not enough to move out any time soon.

My brother is 23. He gets to live rent-free at home while I am responsible for all the chores and household duties. If I don't do them correctly, I get hit. If I miss one, I get hit. Hell, even when everything is perfect I usually still get hit just out of principle.

At first, it was just my dad. The alcohol and grief would take over and I was an easy target. My brother never said anything to him, just turned a blind eye. I thought that maybe his fear of also being hit was what was holding him back from standing up for me, but I was so wrong. Shortly after he turned 21, he would spend all night out drinking with friends and come home with that same anger that our dad has.

It hurts me to know how truly alone I am sometimes, but I keep pushing. I need to last long enough to pack my shit and move far, far away. 

---

It was 10:00 pm when I had finally finished cleaning up the house from my dad's weekend-long binge. I hadn't eaten anything all day so I decided to quickly look through the fridge before I would head upstairs for the rest of the evening. Luckily my dad was out so I didn't have to worry about him, but I knew my brother had plans tonight and would be leaving soon to go out drinking with his best friend Ben, so I wanted to be upstairs and out of sight when he left.

Unfortunately, when I closed the bare fridge, not being able to find anything to eat, he was coming down the stairs. The closer he got to me the more I could smell the alcohol he had likely pre-gamed with.

The fear rushed through me as he spotted me when he reached the bottom step. I had gotten hot while cleaning earlier and taken off my hoodie, so I was now wearing a low-cut t-shirt and a pair of athletic shorts. Nothing too scandalous but he would use anything as an excuse to take his anger out on me.

"God y/n. What are you wearing? You know damn well Ben will be here soon! You look like a slut...mom would be so ashamed of you!" He yelled as he stalked closer to me.

I circled around the opposite side of the dining table, stopping in my tracks in shock at what he said. I glanced down at my outfit before looking back up at him with angry tears in my eyes. I'd had enough of their shit recently but I've been trying to hold back for my own sake. This was something I couldn't forgive though.

They can call me a murderer all they want, but they don't get to ruin my image of the angel that my mom was or the amazing relationship we had. I glared at him as tears ran down my cheek, pointing my finger at him firmly. "You don't get to talk about her anymore. I've put up with you and dad for too long, and honestly Daniel, you're the one she'd be ashamed of. I mean look at yourself! You're already trashed and you'll still be out drinking for hours. You're turning into dad! Is this what you think she would've wanted for you?"