Imperium Romanum

Ah, greetings Yessman13371, and thank you for the question that I am definitely not qualified to answer, the question being about the true successor of the Roman Empire!

The Roman Empire is one of the most influential and well known empires in Europe (perhaps even the world (looking at you GATE)), due to its unique history and culture that has become widespread throughout Europe

The Roman Empire is one of the most influential and well known empires in Europe (perhaps even the world (looking at you GATE)), due to its unique history and culture that has become widespread throughout Europe. Rome, the capital (no kidding), was founded 753 B.C., the Roman Empire was founded in 27 B.C., the empire then split into two in 395 A.D., but the split started happening as far back as 284 A.D., when the Eastern and Western half were established. The Western half dissolved around the fifth century A.D., but the Eastern half remained for another 1000 years (dayum). Constantinople was the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire, but that fell in 1453 due to the invasion of the Ottoman Empire. Yet some city states of the Eastern Roman Empire, such as the Despotate of Epirus, fell as late as 1479 A.D., with that being the end of the Roman Empire. If someone were to do the math, one would see that the History of the Roman Empire lasted for 2232 years, making the question of who was the rightful successor of said empire, a real freaking nightmare...

I am definitely not qualified to answer this question as I am a WW1 fan and not really an anything else fan, but I do frequently make exceptions for either my personal tastes, or because some rando from the internet asked me...

Normally, I wouldn't have bothered answering this question for it is above my pay grade, but since I'm not getting paid and this is for my (and your) satisfaction, please allow me to make a not fully fleshed out opinion about a topic I found out about 30 minutes prior, and researched for 25...

Personally (and only personally, please don't freaking kill me for having an opinion), I think Italy is the successor to the Roman Empire, for it is where the empire was formed, from Republic to empire, and was the capital to the Roman Empire for the longest time. I know the is many different ways to look at it, some might say the Vatican as it's the remainder of the Western Roman Empire as the popes were present in the 4th century A.D., some might say the H.R.E. was the continuation of the Roman Empire as it was founded by the Franks who were crowned by the pope in 800 A.D. as 'Emperor of the Romans', some might say the Ottoman Empire as it had taken Constantinople (as stated above), or some might even say Russia because of... marriage? Ok? But as you can see, this is a very hard topic to answer as it has too many answers and too many opinions.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter of me answering a history related question about the Roman Empire, thank you for your time, this has been Kaiser.