Chapter 23

The ground shook beneath their feet. Zayden turned around, looking above the trees at the ever-growing orange hue, a horrified expression on his face.

Calista felt her legs go unsteady, and suddenly the shouts of the Erinians were ringing in her ears.

Witch!

You ruined our land!

But when Zayden touched her arm softly, she was brought back to the silence of the forest. He leaned in and said in his reassuring voice, "Calista. It's probably nothing. I'll go check what the commotion is about."

He was about to dash when Calista grabbed his wrist. "Take me with you. Please," she said, her voice pleading.

He looked hesitant. "I'm not sure if it's a good idea."

She knew Zayden wouldn't have said this if it was probably nothing. He had been thinking the same thing she was afraid of. Another attack, a fire, a sign from Arik. Which also meant more destructive words thrown her way by the Erinians.

Despite knowing the consequences of Calista being seen at a destructive scene like this, Zayden slipped his arm around her waist and grabbed her close. And then they were off to the origin of the sudden commotion.

When Calista saw where it was, her heart sunk into the pits of her body.

The Erini Hospital.

The fire was somewhere deep inside a block; the entrance appeared to be clear, at least as clear as it could get with the nurses and doctors helping their patients out in a hurry. A throng was gathered around the front doors, a row of ambulances was lined nearby; the medical staff helping the serious cases of patients, both previously sick and the newly injured.

Calista and Zayden stood far on the peripheries of the forest overlooking the building, watching it all unfold in horror. Calista couldn't think straight. A hospital was supposed to be the only haven for people during desperate times. Erini only had one. If a hospital was brought down, where would they keep the injured, the sick? In the ambulances, with limited resources, for how many days?

Zayden disappeared from beside her for a moment and she noticed the people gathered on the outskirts of the hospital; medical staff, locals trying to help every way they could, a couple of kids clutching their parents' legs and sobbing.

Zayden appeared again beside her, panting, his expression still horrified but giving a calm appearance at the same time. "My soldiers are surrounding the area. We've sent Serafiels in, to diminish the fire. We're willing to give any assistance needed, Calista. It will be okay."

He was reassuring her but she couldn't listen. Her head was ringing with only one thought.

"My father is in there," she whispered.

It took Zayden a moment to register her words, and that's when all the color drained from his face.

Calista took two steps forward, intending to run to the building, but Zayden grabbed her. "Calista, it's not safe. Stay here, I'll make sure your father is safe."

She struggled in his hold, desperate to go free. "Let me go! Please. I need to see him," she pleaded, freeing herself from his hold.

And then she was running. Her brain emptied of all thoughts but of her father's. Not caring how many Erinians saw her, not caring what they would call her after spotting her at the supposed crime scene.

She bumped hard into a man but sidestepped quickly to hurl herself into the throng. Her lungs were on fire and she had no idea how her throbbing legs managed to run through the crowd. The hem of her gown kept sticking under several pair of feet.