Commanding the Elements

Sensei Wu marched from end to end of the line of ninja before him, lecturing as he moved.
"Each of you have taken the first step to mastering your elements: discovering your true potential. You've called out to your element, and they have heard your calls. Now, let it flow through you. Let it take control."
His staff slammed the tatami floor, at once straightening their postures. He took a step back, nodding his instruction. On their own, each of the four ninja made vague gestures, clumsily telling their powers to manifest themselves. Kai frustratingly repeated a throwing motion, while Jay flicked out his hand to no avail. Zane and Cole seemed to plead with their arms, as if a staring contest would grant them control. Sensei Wu shook his head.
"You cannot order your powers around. They are far older and wiser than you. To get them to listen, be worth listening to," he advised.
"Worth listening to?" Jay echoed incredulously, "what, is it gonna find another prophesied Master of Lightning to channel through? Pretty sure there's just one of those."
As Jay brought his hand back up to flick out again, a spark of stray electricity shot through his fingers and into his face. He recoiled.
"Gah! Eh- what was that?"
Sensei Wu chuckled.
"The Element of Lightning is channeled through a focused mind. It was only when you focused on interrogating it that it had the opportunity to remind you who you were talking to. Don't take it lightly."
Jay blinked.
"Yeah, got it."
"Well, I'd say I'm focusing pretty hard," Kai said, "but I'm not even feeling warm. What gives?"
Wu nodded to him.
"Fire is not like lightning. If you do not welcome it with an open mind, it cannot pass through you."
Cole opened his mouth to ask a question, but Wu once again slammed his staff to the floor, ordering them to attention.
"Enough talking," he said simply, "your power is unique to you, so I'm sure you can figure out the rest. When I return, I expect you to all have a grasp on your elements."
With a single smooth motion, he turned and left. For several hours, the boys made aimless motions and imprecisely focused on nothing. Sometimes, faint wisps of energy were thought to be seen, but none were ever confirmed with a second success. When Wu returned and saw them empty-handed, he simply nodded their excuses and sent them to bed without another word.

***

A nipping, frigid cold smothered the air. Each snowflake whisked past Zane in a streak that acted like tunnel vision. As labored breaths clawed at his inside, the thick layer of snow he knelt in froze so cold that it burned. He tensed and ducked from the flurries and wind gusts, but it actively retaliated. For a while, his breathing was short and shaky, each bite of cold forcing an exhale response. With every time he folded in on himself to protect from the cold, it burrowed deeper and icier, tearing through each layer like a swarm of pests.
After an exasperated gasp, he fully exhaled, and willed the crisp air back in with an even breath. He let his arms fall to his sides. Relaxing into the snow, he felt the winter thoroughly saturate his senses. It was cold, and sharp, and stabbing, but he did not shiver or recoil. He stood up.
Somewhere, in the distant uniform gray of the storm, a dark silhouette flitted in and out of sight. Great, looming forms resembling trees were scattered around him in all directions. As he moved towards the last sight of the silhouette, Zane found himself able to finally observe this strange world beyond its weather. Deep clouds overcasted the sky, though each snowflake glinted with direct sunlight. No shadow followed his figure from any angle. Beyond the wind and the crunch of snow beneath his feet, not a single sound welcomed itself to this space. Whenever he blinked, it seemed the trees from the middle distance onwards would slightly change their position. The only evidence that he had even gone anywhere were the footprints he left behind.
With a startle, the silhouette appeared again, this time dashing from one nearby tree to another. Once recovered from the initial shock, he rounded the thing to see it from the other side. Nothing stood in its place. Again, from behind, there was another fleeting skitter. He directly approached this time, walking at an even, direct pace. Twice it evaded him. Hoping the saying about third tries rang true, he halfway approached the tree and stopped. After shaking himself of any remaining tension in his body, he humbly extended a hand outward as he lowered his gaze. A tall, ghostly figure peaked from its hiding place. Soon, she stood over him, gazing at the offer with old, droopy eyes. From her form emerged a single spindly limb, which she gently lowered to him with a pensive mystery. She ruffled his hair.
Surprised, Zane met the lanky figure with his eyes, halfway returning his hand to his side. She gave him a sweet smile. He had begun to think of something to say, but to his wonder, she at once abstracted herself into a speeding comet of white light. She circled around and above him for a few laps, then took a sharp turn and dispersed into his chest. He jumped, feeling a sharp wave of piercing cold. However, it was over as soon as it started.