How I'd Rewrite Season 11 Because Why Not

A/N: I prefaced my Season 8 synopsis saying that the season is pretty good and I only really had one major change to make, and I kinda wanna do the opposite here. I don't like Season 11. I think it kinda sucks. However, as clumsy as it is with its themes, I think the question it raises about how people are affected by what they form their identities with is an interesting one. So, I'll be attempting to explore that subject in a similar format to season 11 with a focus on Kai in the first half and a focus on Zane in the second. Although, that's mostly where the similarities between my take and Ninjago's take end.

FIRE CHAPTER

So it's been awhile since the Oni trilogy, and while the ninja have chilled out a bit, they never went soft like they did in the real show. Most of the first episode would be a lot like a slice-of-life thing, just exploring how the ninjas' average days go by switching between training, hobbies, and friendships. Maybe Cole is a big hit in the competitive breakdancing scene, maybe Zane is in a knitting circle, idk, go wild.

Anyway, Nya in particular has been training really hard in this downtime. She says she wants to 'catch up' with the others, but to the boys, she's already surpassed them and they're just trying to keep up with her. She's having a good time stretching her abilities regardless, but after a particularly frustrating session, she makes a huge discovery: she can control fire. It's very slight, just a little flame at her fingertips, but it's there and under her control. She panics a bit, which makes it go out, but when she's able to get it back, she immediately shows Kai. He internally freaks out, but isn't really sure why.

Even though he's not aware of it, Kai had been hinging a lot of his self-esteem and identity based on his unique ability to control fire. So while Nya is pumped that she can control two elements, and is at least 50% sure that means Kai can also control water, he wants nothing to do with this. He doesn't want things to change, even if it could mean good things for him, because he'd still have to rework his whole sense of self. This is what the fire chapter would explore.

Anyway, he puts on a happy face for her and they celebrate the discovery. She gets him to agree to start training each other, although he knows he doesn't want to. He's mostly unresponsive to her lessons, and starts to sabotage his own, trying to get Nya to give up the idea so that things can go back to normal. Unwillingly, he discovers that he can control water, at least a little bit. However, when the two go to put out a fire in Ninjago City, Kai refuses to use his water powers, instead just opting to make sure everyone is out and such. She questions him on it, and manages to get him to admit that he doesn't like the idea of them sharing elements, but doesn't know why.

Unsure of what to do, Nya and Kai go to the town's resident tea enthusiast/oni/wise woman/therapist, Mystake (I know she's dead by this season, but I just love her so much and want there to be more of her, okay?). Nya does not hesitate to bring up all of Kai's insecurities, and Mystake offers them a fable about a warrior who tried to forge a new sword from the metal in the one he already had, but after many months of failed attempts had become so good at hand-to-hand combat that by the time he forged the perfect sword, he didn't need it anymore. They don't really get it, but Mystake doesn't explain it further, instead offering Kai a few bags of Identitea, which is supposed to help you figure out who you truly are. She warns them, however, that it's still experimental, and that fate is a cruel teacher.

So they go home and tell the others about their meeting with Mystake and the tea they got. Kai drinks some, and for a while he feels no different. However, during his and Nya's next training session, he finds that while he can still control water, he can't use his fire at all. His immediate reaction is to go back to Mystake's to ask her what is going on. She says that the effects of Identitea are different for everyone, but if Kai isn't willing to wait out the effects, he could speed up the process, but it is a grueling journey. Kai immediately asks what it is, and after some prodding, she tells him to go to the Golden Peaks and forge a perfect sword, then bring it to her. He immediately agrees, and goes to tell everyone about his new mission that he plans on leaving for as soon as possible. The others, of course, insist on going with him.