Chapter - 2

A month later, she moved to New York for further studies. I couldn't take the pain anymore. I came to New York and stood outside her college with a bouquet of red roses from the park. Betty saw me standing on the road. She ran towards me and hugged me so tight. I was worried that she was going to be furious. But she was just as happy as me.

"What are you doing here?" Betty asked, while still hugging me tight.

"I couldn't stand the thought of staying away from you. So I'm here to see you, Betty." I said as I sniffed her shoulders. She still smelled the same. She still wore her brilliant floral cologne.

"Oh, Douglas." She moaned as she hugged me tighter.

We went for dinner at one of the small diners.

"How did you manage to come to New York?" Betty asked while eating her rabbit soup.

"I took a loan from the master." I replied.

She frowned and said, "Don't do that, Douglas. You make me feel so sad."

"Why?"

"I don't want you to go into any debt."

"Master is like a family, Betty. Don't worry about it."

"Oh, Douglas. I was dying to see you. But please don't risk your career for me." Betty finished her soup. I had barely touched mine.

"Betty, all I think about is you. You are my future, my everything." I said. My face was serious.

"Douglas..."

"Marry me, Betty." I said before she could finish.

"What?" Betty asked, bewildered.

"I know I am not as rich as you. But I will go to lengths to keep you happy, Betty. Be mine." I was so desperate.

Betty stared at me. Her face and her eyes were expressionless. She didn't speak for a long moment. We looked into each other's eyes. Trying to read each other. All of a sudden, Betty gets up and walks out of the restaurant. I quickly ran to the counter and threw some cash. I didn't know what the exact bill was. I gave the manager whatever I had and followed Betty.

"Bet..Bet.. wait..." I screamed as I ran after her.

"Go back to Washington, Douglas." Betty yelled at me. It broke my heart, but I wanted some answers. I held her hand and turned her around.

"What happened, Betty?"

"You are hallucinating, Douglas. You and I are not possible." She said firmly. But I could see her eyes getting moist.

"Why not?" I asked plainly, staring her in the eyes. Right at that moment, it started to rain. None of us had an umbrella.

"I can never be yours." She said firmly again.

"Is it because I am poor?" I asked. Betty didn't reply. She kept looking at me with sombre eyes. The rain hid her tears, but the redness of her eyes could not be disguised.

I removed my blazer and shielded her head. I knew it was pointless, but I was terrified that she could get sick.

"Let me walk you to your hostel." I said, emotionless. We quietly walked. I held my blazer all the time above her head like an umbrella. We were both soaking wet. We soon reached her hostel gate.

"Meet me tomorrow at two in the noon. Same diner." Betty said so and walked away.

It was my last day in the guest house that I was staying in. I had no more money to pay them. I took my bag and reached the diner at one in the afternoon. I had to order something so that they could allow me to sit until Betty came. And Betty would order something too. Plus, I needed money to go back to Washington. I only had one dollar in my pocket. It was more than enough for five meals. I ordered a cold drink that hardly cost anything. I took little sips because I had an hour to spend until Betty arrived. The buzzboys all gave me weird looks. I ignored them. Betty finally arrives at 2:05 PM.