A Walk in the Park

I strolled peacefully through the gardens on a stone pathway, passing multiple shades of red and orange leaves. The fresh smell of nature calmed me while I brushed a lock of raven hair behind my ear which was covering my face from the wind.

I came across a trio of small, yellow birds who were perched on a bush. They were so cute that I wanted to walk over there and hold their delicate bodies in my hands. I always had a thing for small animals, especially birds and whenever I saw one who looked different I would always take a picture. This bird was special, it looked exactly like a baby chick, but it was able to fly because if it wasn't, it wouldn't even be able to get onto this large bush.

So in stealth mode, I quietly crawled, pushing my weight forward with my elbows towards them. Every time I would move an inch the birds would become alarmed and then gradually return back to their normal states. Finally I managed to reach them, only to watch as they flew behind the shrubbery. I didn't lose determination because I was willing to last a pretty long time to get a closer view of them. If only I had brought my good camera out here, then I wouldn't have to get so close to get a decent picture.

I slowly started to peak around the corner holding up my phone to take a snapshot and almost choked on a piece of my gum. Lying on the grass was a man with hair so bleached to the point that it was white. Before I had time to put my camera down I overheard a child speaking, in the direction of the walkway.

"Moomm can I get a picture of the army man too?" I looked up to see a little boy in the distance pointing in the direction of me with the rest of his family staring at my position which was obviously misunderstood. Mortified, I watched as his mom gave me an awkward look, turned the boy's shoulders away from me and continued to walk along the pathway. I cursed at myself.

"Come on honey, let's look at those cute, yellow birds." The mother said, leading the boy away with her hand on his back. Wait yellow birds. I looked by the family and saw the trio of birds smugly sitting on a tree branch. I'd like to say it was their fault why I got put in this situation, but I already know that it was mine.

I looked back at the man lying on the grass with his face turned away from me, thank god he didn't notice me. I couldn't stop staring at his hair. It reflected the morning sun so brightly that it reminded me of the newly fallen snow. It spiked up at the back a bit and I could tell that it wasn't styled because of its soft appearance. The kid was right though. The dark blue uniform that he was wearing and the tall army green, combat boots almost reaching his knees looked like a military uniform. He's probably just a cosplayer. I mean, what kind of soldier would where his uniform at a public park, right?

I should probably leave, I thought, after realizing I was staring for too long... But I wonder what his face looks like, maybe I'll be able to find out what character he's cosplaying... I stared into the back of his white hair, contemplating whether I should look or not. I finally came to the conclusion that it would be too risky and I would rather not be caught by another person, especially him. Beside his hands a blue book caught my eye. It was the same colour of his clothing and without thinking I reached for the book and read the title: "Gilbert's Awesome Journal". Yeah, I'm gonna put this back. Even though I'm a curious person, I would never read other people's personal stuff, but it is tempting.

Chirp... Chirp!!! Chirp!!!!! A flock of yellow shapes got louder and louder the closer they got to me and... Gilbert I guess? Beside me I could hear a groan and the sound of clothing rubbing against the grass, warning me that he was about to turn over. I panicked, and awkward me thought that the best idea in this situation would be to hide. Like I could come up with a lie to make him believe I wasn't staring at him, so I quickly dove and ended it with a somersault behind the bush's leaves. I winced in pain holding my aching head with my hand and nearly face palmed when I noticed the book was still in my hands. The sound of his voice alarmed me.