Chapter Eight

"With the Bunker's vibrational routine turned off, it is the perfect time to slip above ground," Clarissa explains as she unrolls a large blueprint map of the Bunker.

"The vibrations are not real?" Gunner asks, looking over my shoulder.

"They were real, once, but someone got real clever and created a machine to keep people from questioning their reality."

"So, during Night Hours they are just turning machines off," I realize, shaking my head. "They tell us they are turning on stabilizers..."

"Yes, but they can't sustain the machines for much longer."

Clarissa taps a button on the side of her table, and a hologram floats above the map. Then, as if painting an invisible picture, she expands a holographic map of the bunker.

"Your best chance is to take the blocked-off elevators," she says, pointing at an area glowing orange. "They haven't been used many years, but they have been preserved for the Elites."

"Elevators," I say, shaking my head. "I thought cargo was the only thing allowed to use them. So, how do we access the elevators without raising questions?"

"Alison will take care of your credentials. You will have to pass through the security control areas and only Alison can grant that permission."Clarissa taps at the holo-keypad and Alison appears in the room with us.

"Hello, Clarissa," she says with a smile. "How can I be of service to you?"

"River and Gunner will need security passes and access to the elevators. How quickly can you give them clearance?"Alison stares blankly before extending her left hand. A strange sound fills the room as two cards print out of her palm.

"Request complete," Alison says as Clarissa takes the cards and hands them to me. "How can I be of service to you?"

"They also need supplies and provisions for their journey. Minimum, four days' worth of rations."

"I will have the supplies delivered to Gunner's residence during the next Night Hours. Access clearance to Level Five security control will be in effect during the next Day Hours."

"Thank you, Alison. That will be all for now."

Alison blinks, glitching as she fades from the room.

"I was hoping she would utilize haste," Clarissa sighs, crossing her arms as she turns back to the blueprints. "But she does have to maintain her software protocol. Make sure you collect Alison's delivery and prepare to depart as early as possible."

I look at Gunner, expecting him to back out. If he doesn't want to go through with this, I won't be upset but I know I will still be disappointed.

"I guess that means you'll have to stay over," he says, holding my hand.

"I guess so," I reply, squeezing his hand as my nerves take over.