Chapter Fourteen

Gunner is silent as we make our way back to the house. The camera is strapped to his head, but we're not filming anything. The joyful atmosphere we had earlier is gone. Neither of us wants to mention the obvious question in our minds.

Did Gunner's father murder Mayor Bennett?

I want to show Gunner that I understand his turmoil. A lot is changing for both of us and trying to process it all is mind-boggling.

"Everything is going to be okay," I tell him, squeezing his hand. "We'll figure this out."

All he does is nod as we reach our temporary abode. We don't have keys or identification verifiers; I open the door and tug Gunner through.

"Hungry?" I ask, dropping my backpack to the floor.

Gunner shrugs as I remove the camera from his head.

"Tired?"

Another shrug.

"Cuddles?"

The smallest tug at his mouth shows the change in his emotions. He remains discouraged, but he's intrigued because the only thing we've done together is hand-holding. Of course, Gunner wants more; as I do.

"Shoes off," I say, bending down to untie my hiking boots. "We'll find something on that screen to watch, nibble on trail mix. And we will break Bunker Law, and cuddle."

"Sounds good to me," he finally speaks and it brings me a strange sense of relief.

"My dad is a lot of things, but a murderer is not one of them," Gunner says as I join him on the sofa; he's scrolling through viewing selections

"I know," I reply, placing a cup of water in his hand.

"If I knew he'd been part of it..."

I set my own cup on the table, and I turn toward him. He's hanging his head as I take his cup away and set it next to mine. My next action is to take his hands into mine and make him look at me. His eyes are wide and full of questions. I can only answer one.

"Gunner," I say, keeping my voice soft and calm. "We don't know if he was involved or not. What we do know is that he was working with Mayor Bennett and Alison. For now, let's focus on the fact we got out and we are going to get our families out too... I'm still in shock my dad is alive and I want to ask him why he let us believe he died, but I'll get those answers in time. As you will also get answers about your father."

He squeezes my hands, nodding. For a moment, the tension is gone. All questions are settled at the back of our minds as Gunner angles his body closer.

"Do you think the laws between pairs are different up here?" he asks, keeping his gaze on our entwined fingers.

"I do," I say, watching him. "I don't think people have to request for a Pairing out here."

I'm not actually sure about my statement, but something about it seems right.

"But I still need your father's permission."

I sigh, "Do you?"

"If he hopes to rebuild a relationship with your mother, yes. He will be part of your life, I expect he will be in mine too."

"You want him to like you first."

"Yes... it also makes me wonder if he never does, would you still consider me?"

That's a question to think about; would I still consider Gunner as a partner if my father were to disapprove?

"I guess the only way we'll know is if that happens," I say, scooting closer while resting my legs over Gunner's thighs. "Find anything worth our cuddle time?"

"Yes," he replies, clicking a button on the remote as he settles back into the sofa and pulls my legs near his chest. "But I don't think this really counts as cuddling."

"Give me a chance to warm up to it. We've had Bunker Laws for a long time, it's still a little new."

"Yeah, I guess."

Many hours later, its dark outside

Many hours later, its dark outside. Now I know what real Night Hours look like. It makes me wonder if our method of keeping time is backwards. I'm not tired yet, but I do feel sluggish.

I've wiggled my way into Gunner's arms; he has me wrapped up in a blanket against his chest in a tight, safe bubble. I like it.

"Asleep yet?" he whispers, tightening his embrace.

"Getting there," I reply, yawning. "You?"

"You have to ask when you clearly hear me talking to you?"

I laugh softly, turning around so I can see Gunner's face. His dark hair is disheveled, partially covering his eyes. I reach up and move it aside; he smiles as he looks down at me.

"Tomorrow," he says, clearing his throat. "We need to get our findings to Clarissa and Dani."

"We can use that PC you've been playing with and send it to that encrypted channel. Alison will have everything to get the people moving."

"Or we bring it back ourselves and bring your family back before the confusion starts."

"Do you remember how to get back? Because I sure don't."

Gunner hums thoughtfully; I feel his fingers tapping against my side. I watch his eyes lower to my lips, reminding me of something he said a while back.

"Still thinking about it?" I whisper.

"All the time," he whispers back as I sit forward and cup the back of his head, pulling him to me.

I've never kissed anyone before, but we just watched a romantic film. I picked up a trick or two. Like closing my eyes just before our lips touch. Tangling his hair around my fingers. The only issue is the slobber. There's a lot of saliva being exchanged right now.

Gunner sighs, breaking the connection.

"Quick study, huh?" he chuckles, pressing his forehead to mine.

"You too," I reply, relishing our closeness. "I think I should be put to bed, but I'm not ready to get up yet."

"I may have a remedy for you."

He changes his grip so there is an arm beneath my legs as he rises to his feet. For a brief moment, he turns his head away to watch where he is walking. I lock my fingers around his neck as he leans a knee on the bed I've been using. Gunner carefully places me against the pillows, releasing me as he climbs up beside me.

"Is it okay if I stay here a while?" he asks, moving the hair on my face.

"Yes," I reply, resting my hand on his forearm.

"'Kay... sweet dreams."

"Sweet dreams."

[wordcount:1085]