Fire Whiskey & Fights

As Ominis and I pressed through the crowded Three Broomsticks someone called my name. I paused, squinting for the source through the sea of students.

"Hadley!"

I finally located the voice as belonging to none other than Garreth Weasley.  He was stood in a corner at a high table surrounded by Gryffindors and waving in my direction. A gleeful grin was plastered across his freckled face. He beckoned me over. I grinned and waved back, nodding.

The endearing Weasley boy had been a close friend last year after I had helped him on a few... personal projects. He was quite the jokester, popular, and always full of surprises. Our paths had yet to cross since arriving at Hogwarts.

I returned to Ominis, who'd been patiently waiting on me between tables.

"Ominis? I think Garreth is asking me to stay," I said as I walked up.

"I heard him," Ominis muttered. It was hard to hear his voice over the cacophony of late-night revelers. "Are you going to stay?"

"I believe I wil-"

"Will be coming with us."

I felt the strong grip of Sebastian's hand around my wrist. Somehow, without me noticing, he'd snuck up behind Ominis and me.

He was scowling at me, his usually light brown eyes impossibly dark. The grip he held on my wrist was excruciatingly tight, as though he might nearly break it.

"What do you think you're doing?" I seethed, feeling rage boiling over in my chest. How dare he lay a hand on me?

Sebastian had absolutely no right to interfere with my life. If I wanted to stay at The Three Broomsticks and see the rest of my friends, I was entitled to just that.

My former best friend had absolutely no say in the matter.

"It's not safe," Sebastian growled, voice low. "Did you not hear Sirona?"

"You mean about Cragcroft, Sallow?" I let out an exasperated laugh. "We're in Hogsmeade, you idiot."

Sebastian tugged my wrist, pulling me closer to him. I was nearly against his chest now. I could smell the scent of Butterbeer on his breath, mixed with the familiar earthy aroma of cedarwood and pine that I so desperately missed.

Hated.

So desperately hated.

He leaned in, so close that I could feel his breath on my skin.

"You're Muggleborn, Hadley," he whispered. I could feel frustration in his every word. "It's not safe for you to be here."

"Do you think I can't take care of myself?" I fired back. I stepped away, shaking my head to clear it from my momentary lapse.

"You will have no one here to protect you Had-"

"Protect me?!" I shouted. I couldn't help it. The concept that I needed protection was absolutely laughable, and insulting to boot. Silence fell over The Three Broomsticks as the entire crowd turned to watch Sebastian and me.

I tugged on my wrist in Sebastian's grip, yanking it and freeing myself.

"I do not need the protection of anyone," I scoffed, rubbing my wrist. "I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself."

"You certainly seemed to need me last year!" Sebastian's voice was rising too. He clenched his fists at his sides, cheeks flushed.

"I will manage just fine on my own," I spat.

"Hadley," Sebastian's voice was a deadly hiss. He began to approach me again. "Listen to m-"

"That's enough, brother." Ominis caught Sebastian in the chest with an outspread hand, stopping him in his tracks.  Sebastian glared at me from behind Ominis's protective arm. "She's made her choice. Let her be."