nine.

❝oh, oh woe-oh-woah is mei'm running like a plovernow i'm prone to miserythe birthmark on your shoulder reminds me❞

i'm running like a plover
now i'm prone to misery
the birthmark on your shoulder reminds me

— mystery of love, sufjan stevens

IT WAS EASY to tell winter was coming, as the air became colder and the crimson and brown leaves that used to fall from the tall trees began to disappear, leaving them bare. Florence didn't mind, however. Winter was her second favorite season. 

Her window was slightly open, allowing the chilly air to seep into her now cold room. Florence stared into the mirror before leaving her room, wrapping her long trench coat around her body. 

There was a lot of excitement, possibly because Florence was going on her first date with Neil Perry. She couldn't wait to be with him, doing God knows what. She could lie with him for hours, not speaking a word, which would still be a core memory. 

Florence brushed her bangs from her face as she walked towards the lake, looking for someone. It was November seventeenth, Todd Anderson's birthday. She held his present close to her body as she searched for the timid boy. Todd didn't want a gift from anyone, but she couldn't help it. Florence thought of Todd as a dear friend to her, and she will always give something to her friends on their birthday. 

The lake began to freeze over. Vermont was unusually cold at this time, but Florence didn't mind. She watched the crowds of boys hanging out by the lake as she tried to look for Todd. Successfully, she found the boy walking toward the buildings.

"Todd!" The girl called out, watching the boy turn around, looking for the familiar voice. He noticed Florence as she rushed over, waving with her free hand. 

She approached him, her slightly panting. "Hi," she whispered, consideration escaping her lips. 

"Hey," he replied, gazing at the wrapped present tied with a neat red bow. "Florence, you didn't—"

"I did," she beamed, presenting the gift with extended hands. "I couldn't help it. I think you'd like this," she continued, watching Todd's lips curve into a grin as he held the rectangular parcel. 

Todd pointed to the present. "Is it okay if I—"

"Go ahead!" 

The boy chuckled in surprise as he carefully untied the bow, putting it into his coat pocket. Florence stared at him, unwrapping the present and revealing a brand-new book. His eyes lit up with excitement as he chuckled again. "The Illiad?" He tilted his head.

Florence nodded. "Yeah! It's a wonderful poem, and I think you'd enjoy it. The story is beautiful. I read it all in one night," she remarked, pushing her hair behind her shoulders. "I hope you like my present."

"Liked? I love it!" Todd exclaimed, holding the book tightly. "Thank you."

"Anytime, Todd. Happy Birthday!" She greeted before turning and walking back to her dormitory. 

-

Florence walked towards her dorm, feeling empty since Neil wasn't walking beside her like always. Her homeschooling hasn't been that interesting. She had stellar grades, which pleased Mr. Nolan. 

The wind picked up as it blew her hair into her face, bothering her. She mumbled angrily when she was startled by someone calling her name. It wasn't Neil. Florence turned to see a redhead standing awkwardly. He was a few feet away. 

"Meeks?" She questioned, the hair still on her face. She brushed it away as she approached the boy, who was a deep red because of the freezing weather.

"Uh. . . yeah. I wanted to ask you something," he mumbled, gliding his gloved hands across his arms, attempting to create friction. 

"Sure!"

"You're— you're going to the meeting tomorrow night. Right?" He stammered, still oddly shivering. 

Florence paused, nodding. "Mhm. I think I am."

Meeks adjusted his round glasses. "Cool. I— I mean, the guys and I was wondering if you'd bring your violin. Neil said you would last time."

"Oh! I will. It'll sound bad since it might go out of tune due to the weather," she reminded. 

"It's alright. I don't mind— we want to hear you play," he responded. 

"Okay. I will then."

"Great!" He said, slightly jumping. He averted his gaze to Florence's side, which was a few papers. "Is that trigonometry homework?"

Florence glanced at her assignments. "Yeah, it sucks, right?"

"Not really. I'm pretty good at trig. If you want any help, you can always ask me!" He said enthusiastically, adjusting his glasses again. "Maybe tonight, at the study lounge? Everyone else is going to be there," he suggested. 

Florence did want some tutoring. The only subject she's been adequate at was mathematics. She despised trigonometry. "Ah, of course, you're good at trig. You're a genius!" She remarked, watching Meeks smile bashfully. "Maybe next time. I have a date with Neil tonight."

"Oh! He asked you out!" Meeks acknowledged. "I didn't think he would," he laughed, watching Florence chuckle.

"I was going to ask, but he beat me to it."

"Hm. . . yeah. Well, I'll see you around," he mumbled before waving and walking to his room.

"See you!" She replied nicely. 

-

A/N
I'm sorry I keep delaying the date! It'll be the next chapter, I promise. I end up writing chapters longer than they should be. . . Anyway. These are two cute scenes (?) with the other poets Florence is close with since I keep forgetting to include them :)) Have a wonderful day! <3 

—3/25/2023