Parting ways

~~Akanksha~~

“Akki.” A small smile graced my lips at the soft voice. It felt like I was pulled into a cocoon of warmth.

I turned around to find Jai standing a few feet away from me. He stood there leaning against the wall, finding support from the wall. I have never seen Jai like this. So weak. So shattered. He has been the strongest man I have ever met. Composing myself, I walked towards him. Taking hold of his hand, I brought him to the cushion and made him sit on it.

I then crouched down at his feet, still holding his hands in mine.

Jai sniffled, “I couldn’t understand anything, Akki. I don’t know what to do.”

His lower lip wobbled and his eyes turned glassy.

I smiled sadly, “You do know, Jai.” I whispered. I am damn sure that Jai understood everything and also has an idea what he should do but he is scared.

I raised my hand and cupped his cheek. He leaned into my touch.

“I… I… can’t, Akki.” The tears that pooled up in his eyes have finally fallen down breaking my heart. 

“Jai!” I called softly. He leaned his forehead on mine.

“I can’t leave you, Akki! I can’t.”

“We don’t have another way, Jai.” I whispered.

“There has to be!” Jai stubbornly answered, backing away from me, “It can’t be like this. I won’t allow this.” 

I now stood up and took a step away from him, “Then tell me. What should we do?”

He just looked up at me.

“Should we stick to our original plan? You getting divorced and marrying me?” I asked. He kept staring at me. 

“Then Advika will go back to her normal life. With her parents. Maybe we can find a person for her and get her married?”

Jai shut his eyes tight and a few more tears spilled down. 

 “Jai, you’re already married to her…."

Jai abruptly stood up, "Stop it Akki! If it wasn't for this stupid rule of yours we would have been married by now and all of this wouldn't have even arised." He spat out.

I chuckled bitterly, "Then tell me why do I have this stupid rule?"

He just stared at me with his tear filled eyes. I know I'm being harsh here but it's time for us to embrace the reality. At this moment of his life, I need to stand beside him and provide him support. But I lost that right. Now, it's not me who should stand beside him. It's his wife. Which is not me and can never be me.

"Despite being in a relationship all these years, we weren't married. Nothing would have stopped us. Not even my stupid rule. Then why weren't we married, Jai?" I asked, suppressing the growing pain in my heart. I always believed that everything happens for a reason. Everything means everything. Jai might be thinking that my stupid rule and Advika are the reason for not getting us married. But what I think is Advika's fate was way back Tangled with Jai's. That's why even our love hasn't stopped them from getting married. And now, my stupid heart believes that Robin died because it's time for Advika to be united with Jai. 

I looked at Jai who is silently staring back at me. 

"Because we weren't bound to be together." With much difficulty I choked out those words. Right at that moment, I myself pulled a sword and sliced my heart into two. 

"Don't say that." Jai whispered. Tears kept on leaking down his beautiful eyes. I know that I should wipe them but I have no energy left within me.

"I can't find any other option, Jai. They need you." I voiced out weakly.