5-Whiterun

The next morning, I got ready to leave the small town of Riverwood. Honestly, the place wasn’t too bad. I was never a fan of large cities. 

“Good luck on your journey.” Hadvar’s aunt, Sigrid, hugs me. Alvor bids me farewell and Doretha asks if I’ll return. I don’t give her a clear answer. Better if I don’t give her the idea that I might return. 

“I suppose you’re not interested in joining us, are you?” Hadvar asked. 

“Would you like me less if I said I am not?” I raise a brow at him. 

“Of course not. You have a better mission.” Hadvar smiled back at me. “I hope you can find your family.” 

“I hope so too.” I responded. I start to walk away from the town. There’s a blond woman speaking to a man by the tavern, an elf chopping wood and chickens running around the place. There’s a kid playing with a large dog. I take a deep breath, wanting to continue my way out. If I was like most women my age, I would have been married off by the time I was fifteen or sixteen with three kids and a husband by now. The thought is terrifying. I could have lost my husband (well, if I cared about him) and my children along with my family. 

Maybe it’s a good thing my parents babied me. And a good thing is that I am not beautiful or they would have been drowning in suitors. My face was always too boney, my nose too pointy, and my cheekbones protrude too much, even at my chubbiest. I was also a tall woman which tends to turn men off. 

I continued my merry way, trying to focus on the path ahead of me. About an hour later, I reached the city of Whiterun. I see all the farms and the tower in the distance. People are digging up soil, harvesting vegetables or doing other work outside their homes. I pass by some soldiers escorting a prisoner to Dragonsreach. 

I then hear a loud thud followed by some cheering. I whip my head around to see a group of people around a dead giant. 

“Wow.” I said. I look at the people closely. A Nord man with warpaint and shoulder length hair, an Imperial woman in Nord armor and a Nord woman in rather skimpy armor. I’d wonder how she is not freezing but being Nordic is self explanatory on that one. 

“You’re a bit late.” The Nord woman sheathes her sword. 

“For…..” I raise my brow. 

“Aela, leave the kid alone. She wouldn’t have been able to help anyway.” The Nord man spoke up. Normally, I’d be offended that she assumed I couldn’t fight but I’m way beyond my depth going up against giants. 

“Well, Farkas. Maybe the whelp would have been more helpful than you.” Aela responds. “Anyway, you seem like the warrior type.” 

Is that a compliment? 

“I guess so.” I mean I was trained to fight like an Imperial soldier but honestly, I’m better off not disclosing that to strangers. 

“We’d love to have you in the Companions. Come by Jorrvaskr if you’re interested.” Aela says, putting her hand on her hip. I nodded and continued on my way to Whiterrun. 

I reach the gates of the city. 

“Hold it.” The guard spoke. “Why are you here?” 

I sigh. “I need to speak with the Jarl about the dragon attack on Helgen.” 

The guard shrugged and the gates opened. 

“Thank you.” I said to him, walking into the hold. The place is nice and surprisingly doesn’t smell like waste. There’s a blacksmith making a sword outside of a shop with the name “Warmaiden’s”. I walk into a small plaza with a produce stand, a butcher’s stall, a cheese/bread stall and some woman smelling random trinkets. 

“Fresh fruits and vegetables everyday!” The woman said. I walk into a shop, hoping to pick up more things for my trip. 

“Everything’s for sale.” A Breton man behind the counter says. I look around, trying to figure out what to get. There’s iron armor which is a bit better than the one I stole off the soldiers. There’s a few swords and axes, some clothes, various bottles of mead, wine, and ale, and fresh produce. 

I end up buying a few cheese wedges, some potions for magicka and healing, and a shield. That should come in handy. I then head off to the Drunken Huntsman to check out their weapons. 

“Welcome.” A Bosmer from behind the counter says. “What are you hunting? Never mind, I don’t want to know.” 

“Well, I’m really just looking to buy a bow and a quiver of arrows.” I had left the ones Hadvar gave me behind at Riverwood. 

“Well, there’s plenty here.” He smiles at me. Maybe this won’t be so bad.