Days Gone Bye pt4

Rick is driving down a highway in the country side on his way to Atlanta. He grabs the walkie talkie that is in his car. "Broadcasting on emergency channel. Will be approaching Atlanta on highway 85. Anybody reads, please respond." He turns off the radio and there is lightening storm to his side a few miles away. "Hello. Hello. Can anybody hear my voice? Anybody out there? Anybody hears me, please respond." He takes brief pauses in between each sentence. "Hello, can you hear my voice?"

Ricks voice crackles through another radio station. An old man gets up and rushes to the radio. A girl drops the wood she was carrying and grabs the walkie. "Hey. Hello?" She says.

"Can you hear my voice?" Ricks voice is staticky. The girl smiles happy to know there are more people alive out in the world.

"Yes, I can hear you. You're coming through. Over."

"If anybody reads, please respond. Broadcasting on emergency channel. Will be approaching Atlanta on highway 85. If anybody reads please respond." Rick turns off the radio.

"We're just outside the city." The radio crackles. the signal is lost. She moves the dial trying to find him again. "Damn it. Hello? Hello?" She turns to the old man, "he couldn't hear me. I couldn't warn him."

"Try to raise him again." Says the old man. "Come on son you know best how to work this thing." A man smacks an ax down into the wood and grabs the walkie.

"Hello, hello is the person who called still on the air?" He let's go of the button and all there is is static. "This is officer Shane Walsh broadcasting to person unknown. Please respond." All the radio does is crackle. " he's gone." Shane says quietly.

"There are others. It's not just us." Says Lori.

"We knew there would be, right? That's why we left the c.b. on." Shane states.

"A lot of good it's been doing. And I've been saying for a week we ought to put signs up on 85 to warn people away from the city."

"Folks got no idea what they're getting into." Says the girl.

"Well, we haven't had time." Shane says getting up.

"I think we need to make time." Argues Lori.

"Yeah, that-- that's a luxury we can't afford. We are surviving here. We are day to day." Shane's says rubbing his chin.

"And who the hell would you propose we send?" Asks the old man.

"I'll go. Give me a vehicle." Argues Lori.

"Nobody goes anywhere alone. You know that." He looks at her and she walks away with Carl following her in to the woods were there tents are. "Hey hey hey. Go on, take a seat, bud. You're all right. Go on. You're all right." Carl looks puzzled and stops following his mom. She stopes into her tent and Shane follows. "What, are you pissed at me? You can be pissed at me all you want. It's not gonna change anything. I'm not putting you in danger, okay? I'm not doing it for anything." He enters the tent. "That make you feel like sometimes you want to slap me upside the head-- tell you what, girl you feel that need, you go right ahead. I'm right here. Go on." She turns around and he is standing there waiting to be slapped. "You cannot walk off like that, all half-cocked. Look, you do not want to do it for my sake or your sake, that's fine. But just-- you do it for him. That boy has been through too much and he's not losing his mother too, okay?" Lori nods her head yes. Shane walks closer to her and start kissing. Shane raises his hand holding a dirty brown baseball cap and holds her head.

"Mom?" Softly yells Carl. The immediately stop kissing. Shane leaves the tent and is greeted by Carl walking down the path.

"What up, bud? She's in there. Go on." Shane rubs his head and walker off. Loris greets him at the entrance of there tent and kneels down grabbing his hands.