Chapter one

THE MOMENT you opened your eyes, you knew something was off. The smell of pinewood and hyacinth filled your nostrils, and the beams of sunlight that sunk into your skin were warmer than usual. More greenery than you had ever seen in your life surrounded you for endless miles - quite foreign in a city with not a standing tree in sight.

Gaining control of your limbs, you curled your body forward and continued to observe your surroundings in utter bewilderment. You certainly weren't in your apartment in the city, that was for certain. Though as confused and cluttered-minded as you were, the scenery was strangely familiar. Endless waves of hills stretched to the horizon, peculiar plants and blossoms loomed above you, and a stream of pristine water sparkled beneath the sunlight.

Propelling yourself to your feet, you moved out of the large oak trees that provided shade and scanned the area. Wincing at the sudden sting behind your eyes, you brought a hand up to your eyes to block the blinding rays of sunlight when the outline of a figure suddenly shadowed over you. Stepping back defensively, you curiously lifted your gaze to the strange. The air in your lungs stopped all at once.

From his familiar hair and eyes that matched the darkest shade of hyacinth to his aura of superiority and haughtiness, you instantly knew who this individual was.

Scaramouche-your favourite character from the universal top-ranking video game, Genshin Impact.

You didn't believe your eyes to be true, but no matter how many times you blinked and pinched your skin between your fingers, nothing changed. He remained standing several feet away from you, his arms crossed over his chest with a bored expression. You inhaled and exhaled in an attempt to calm the pounding of your heart against your chest. Raising a hand in front of your eyes, you stretched out your fingers and counted each one five times.

It was a simple confirmation to verify that you weren't lucid dreaming. If you were, you would have four or a bizarre number that was not possible for a human in true reality. You were educated on such matter because you had lucid dreamt a couple of months ago, and eventually decided to take a rest because of how draining it caused you to be-mentally and physically.

"What are you doing?"

You flinched, nearly jumping out of your skin at the familiar, yet irritated voice. Your whirlwind of thoughts was stopped short as you met Scaramouche's narrowed eyes that studied you dubiously. You only now realized that you were gawking and still pinching your skin for confirmation of reality. Embarrassed, you folded your hands together and averted your gaze.

"Are you a thief?" asked Scaramouche, quieter than he had spoken before.

Your eyes bulged as you whipped your head toward him. "Excuse me?"

"You're standing in my campgrounds."

As you turned to confirm his statement, your eyes caught onto his kimono-where a blotch of scarlet stood starkly. His skin was as sickly pale as the moon in a night sky, you noticed as you observed his appearance for the first time. A thin layer of moisture coated his skin, and strands of his hair stuck to his forehead. There was a slight sway in his posture, and it became apparent that he was struggling to keep himself steady. Your gaze lowered to the blotches of scarlet staining the grass beneath him.

"Oh my, are you okay?" You asked, your brows pulled together with sincere concern. Scaramouche was never one to become injured in battle, so who could have been powerful enough to override him? You worried your bottom lip as anxiousness tugged at your chest.

"I'm fine," His attempt at snapping at you sounded rather dull and tired, and he waved you off in a lazy motion. "Just leave before I-"

"That doesn't look too good." You brushed off his assumed threat and eyed the spreading wound. "Here, let me take a look."