Name Calling

In the cutthroat world of heroes, reputation is everything. Your demeanor, character, and romantic life are all scrutinized by society, and rumors about you are like currency. The more they circulate, the more famous (or infamous) you become. The press and social media outlets are the primary drivers of these rumors, but fellow heroes can be just as guilty of spreading gossip. Most heroes can brush off unfounded claims about themselves, but if a respected hero publicly accuses you of being difficult to work with, it can have a severe impact on your career. You suspect that one of the reasons for the endless round of galas and other social events is to keep tabs on one another and avoid working with those whose reputations have taken a hit. In this world, your name is your brand, and you have to fight to keep it untarnished.

You knew that Hawks was a bit of a wildcard when it came to his personal life, which made him an interesting teammate to have. He was known for his laid-back attitude and his tendency to push the boundaries, both in his personal life and in his hero work. Some found him reckless, while others admired his bravery and spontaneity. Either way, he was undeniably popular with the public, and his image was a major part of his appeal as a hero. Until recently, when he was exposed for killing a member of the league of villains. You had a feeling that Hawks was one of those heroes who cared less about their ranking, despite being one of the top two heroes in Japan. It was possible that he might find it ironic that someone like you, with a significant cover-up, was helping him repair his public image. However, it was worth noting that American audiences were more forgiving of controversy compared to Japanese audiences.

As the elevator doors closed, you took a moment to examine your appearance in the mirrored walls. Your support team had gone all out to update your uniform for this mission. The new outfit was a sleek black thermal bodysuit with powder blue accents, and over your arms and shoulders was a matching skin-tight bolero. You tested the weight of your new gloves, feeling their heft and the increased pressure they put on your fingers. These gloves would help you pack a punch in combat, despite your relatively low physical strength. They had also given you clunky hightops, not exactly fashionable, but necessary to house your retractable skates. The body suit was designed with higher hip windows than usual, and you wore skin-colored fleece stockings underneath, enhancing your already appealing physique. Though the increased sex appeal was undoubtedly intentional, you didn't mind as long as your preferred weapons were still included. Your belt held two gun holsters, and an extra hip pack contained essential first aid supplies. The guns even doubled as grappling hooks, adding to your mobility. You gave yourself a quick spin to admire your figure before pulling up your extra-long powder blue leg warmers back into place to complete the look. You wanted to look and feel perfect for this meeting.

The elevator's chime snapped you out of your self-preening, and you quickly put on your award-winning hero smile. A young man with a clipboard was waiting for you, looking tired but straightening up as soon as he saw the three of you.

"Ah, good timing! I was just about to come look for you," he said, bowing politely. "I'm Hawks' assistant. I'll show you to the meeting room."

You followed the assistant down the hallway, the sound of your clunky hightops echoing against the polished floor. You took in your surroundings, noting the sleek and modern design of the building. It was clear that this was the headquarters of a top-tier hero agency. The busy office was full of employees rushing back and forth, carrying stacks of files and devices. They were so engrossed in their work that they barely noticed your presence, often cutting you off in your tracks. You were used to it, though. After all, navigating through the crowded streets of New York during rush hour was no different. However, the chaotic energy of the office indicated that they had a lot on their plate, especially with the recent crime spike.

You hastened your steps to keep up with Hawks' assistant. "Is it always this busy, or is it because of...?" You trailed off, unsure if you should bring up the recent crime wave.