Soft Spot

Hawks had a meticulously organized patrol system that worked seamlessly with his speed. He left you a folder full of instructions and shortcuts to effectively travel from one end of the city to the other. However, a large portion of his system relied on predicting when events were about to occur. His team developed a software that instantly notified you of any calls placed to emergency services from the first ring. Though it was not exactly legal, it was highly effective.

Being new to the area, you found Hawks' system a bit too fast-paced to adjust to. You didn't have the luxury of air travel. So, you decided to split the work between two of his sidekicks, placing more responsibility on them than they were used to. You were pleasantly surprised by their excited reaction to your request, stating that they were more used to cleaning up behind Hawks.

Hawks' final instruction was to keep his intern, a young high school student, on your trail for backup and clean-up duty. During your conversation at the bar, he explained the events leading to the decision to allow UA students to do work studies so early on. Although you didn't voice it at the time, you didn't agree with children so young being in the field. However, Hawks had nothing but praises toward Tokoyami.

As the first week of patrol was coming to an end, you knew fridays were a time of high foot traffic activity, meaning more public incidents were bound to happen. You weaved your way along rooftops, using your grappling hook to sling yourself up and cut through the air, before activating your quirk to quickly land and boost yourself forward once again. Every once in a while, you looked behind your shoulder, seeing Tokoyami use his shadow to glide behind you.

"This area is all clear. Let's head back to Talon and Kin's section and switch off," you spoke into the headset, pausing to put the directions into your holographic visor.

Tokoyami landed next to you, looking down at his watch. "They're pinging me now actually. We should get there fast."

"Shit, it's at the Canal City Center too." You huffed before speeding off, using your hook to pull you forwards.

Upon arriving at the scene, you saw a man being held down, with the two sidekicks knee-deep in the shopping center's large water feature. He was thrashing, which wasn't helping keep his head above the water. He was coughing and sputtering, often being pushed back down. A sizeable crowd was watching from the ground floor and balconies.

"What the hell?" you whispered to yourself before zipping down. It looked like it was a petty thief, as he was clutching a bit of jewelry and a purse in his fist. "Alright, that's enough. Pick the poor man up," you spoke up, giving an order.

However, your command fell on deaf ears, as the two were trying to forcefully pull the purse from his hands.

"I said, pick him up now!" Your voice boomed, echoing through the large shopping mall. Instantly, a quiet atmosphere settled, with all eyes on you. You stormed towards the men, stepping into the fountain, pushing past surrounding officers, and grabbing hold of the man, pulling him away from the two sidekicks. You looked at his hand, seeing that it was swollen, not allowing him to uncurl it and drop the items.

"Bring medical over here before you detain him." You spoke to an officer, handing him over. Watching as the pair walked away.

As you gazed upon the barricade of people held back by police officers, you noticed their unusual demeanor. They weren't just mere bystanders, observing the situation out of curiosity. Their expressions were mixed, some exhibiting fear while others remained silent, with angry scowls etched onto their faces as they held their smartphones up to record the scene. It was apparent that they were seeking to hold you accountable for their actions. This was not the norm, and you furrowed your brow in confusion, feeling uneasy about the situation. For someone who was used to being applauded and praised, this was a stark contrast.