CHAPTER FIVE: WHO DO YOU LOVE?

Nadine was the mother of Unique's son.
She heard the news in the hair salon, nearly hopping out her seat. The stylist was trying hard not to graze her ear with the hot comb.

"He got another bitch around Hakeem? Who the fuck is she?"

The stylist held the hot comb up, stepping away slightly to protect her jumpy client.

"Nobody, girl. Don't worry about it."

Oh, she was most definitely going to worry about it. That nigga knew not to have anyone near Hakeem, especially not one of his hoes. This was a huge problem for her.

"He not gone have me looking stupid. Give me my cell."

The beige brick with a long black antenna was standing upright on the counter. Immediately, she dialed Unique's pager.

He didn't call her back at first, so she dialed again.

"Nique."

His voice was groggy and deep.

"Huh?"

Nadine squinted before yelling into the phone, acrylics like talons as she gripped the boxy frame. Everyone in the salon just acted like they couldn't hear a thing and went about their business.

"Who the fuck is she?"

He yawned into the phone dismissively, shuffling around enough to mess with the reception of the call.

"You don't need to know that. It's none of your concern."

She popped up in the chair again, just as the stylist was getting ready to touch up her edges.

"Like Hell it is. Keep that bitch from around my son!"

Unique let out a heavy sigh, speaking to somebody in the background. The person responded back to him, voice low and soft. It was just loud enough for Nadine to make out.

"Is that her? You got that hoe living with you now?"

He was very annoyed at this point.

"Again, what the hell that gotta do with you? We not even together no more."

That just made her even more agitated than before. He wanted to get nasty with her? She could be filthier.

"Tell that bitch about how you came over a week ago, then. Since we not together. You drop off Keem all the time just to turn the cartoons up real loud and go in the room with me. I am the fucking mother of your child and when I want something done, you fucking do it!"

Her finger ended the call with a beep, handing the phone back to her stylist before listing another demand.

"Make sure you flip the ends, girl. They looking a little damaged."

———————————————

His pager beeped again.

What could it possibly be this time?

Nadine's bird ass had done enough screeching, Nique was not ready to put up with more bullshit.

He called the number and paced around the loft until someone answered.

"What's up?"

Camille was just sitting on the sofa, watching the whole thing. It felt like deja vu all over again and right then, her heart sank.

"Are you fucking serious?"

His voice became sharp and alert, a complete 360 from his previous tone.

"This nigga gone pay. I put that on Allah and God Almighty, son."