Chapter 29: Away

Matt:

"No," the student says. "No, I haven't seen anyone like her."

"Thanks," I say, shooting the student a wave before he turns and leaves. I sigh as I return to Alfred's side after he was done talking with another student. "Don't suppose you had better luck?"

The student shakes her head before turning and leaving as well.

"No," Alfred answers with a shake of his own head. "No luck. No one had seen Leia all day."

"I guess that would make sense. I mean, Leia doesn't have class today. Does she?"

"I don't think so, but I think she does have work right now!"

"The gas station," I say, snapping my fingers. "A. He must have found her by now. Let's call him!"

I reach into my pocket and pull out my phone. However, I stop only a few seconds later.

"Uhh," I say, trying my hardest to think back. "Uhh. I don't suppose you know A's number."

"I don't even know if A had a phone," Alfred answers.

"Yeah," I sigh, putting my phone back into my pocket. "Wow. We all left really unprepared."

"Yeah," Alfred says. "There's no point in us being here anymore. Let's go back home and wait for everyone to return."

I nod my head and Alfred and I walk back to the car. While walking, I bring up my crossed fingers and show it to Alfred.

"Fingers crossed A is having better luck," I say.

Seeing this, Alfred crosses his own fingers.

"Fingers crossed," he says.

A:

"Sir," the cashier at the gas station says, putting up his hands. "Sir. Sir, please, leave the store now!"

"I am leaving," I say, pushing my way out of the door. However, as I leave the store, the cashier chases after me. He gets in front of me and blocks my way.

"Hold on," he says. "Before you go, I just want to say thank you. The manager may not understand, nor the police, but still, thank you for what you did."

"No problem," I say.

"And about Leia," the cashier goes on. "According to the manager, she called in sick today. That's why I'm right today."

"Fine," I say. "Thank you for nothing. Now move. Unless you want me to do to you what I did to that theft."

The cashier nods his head before stepping back immediately. Walking past him, I hear him shout I'm sorry before I walk around a wall and teleport away.

Teleporting, I reappear in the air and fall onto a rooftop. Landing on my feet, I walk to the ledge and look over. I do not what I am hoping for. Maybe I believe I will be lucky and see Lafayette from all the way up here but I do not. I do not see Lafayette anywhere. I do however see a familiar car driving down the street.

I summon the black mist once more, the black mist eating me up before throwing me back up on the sidewalk. Walking out onto the street, I wave my hand in the air. The car seeing my signal pulls up beside me and I get in.

"Hey," I say.

"Hey," Alieen says. Instantly, and even without any of my powers, I can sense Alieen is unhappy. She gives a weak nod to me as I close the door and she drives again.

"You could not find Layafette."

"No," Alieen answers. "I couldn't find her. Could you?"

"No. I searched the gas station where she work but there was someone else there. Well, there were actually two people there."

"Two people," Alieen repeats.

"Yes. There was the cashier and a man who was attempting to steal a lot of snacks and drinks."

"Oh my god," Alieen cries. "What happened?"

"Apparently, the man had shoved the cashier. He then started grabbing things and throwing them into a bag. After the bag was full, he tried to run out but ran into me instead."

"A, what did you do?"

"Nothing too bad."

"Nothing too bad?"

"After he ran into me, he tried to push me to the side but I grab him and lifted him up. He hit his head on the ceiling and was knocked out. I cannot be certain but I do believe after thanking me, the cashier will be calling the police."

"Wow," Alieen says. "That was lucky. I mean, it was lucky Leia wasn't there. No, wait. What I mean is that Leia can handle herself. She can more than handle herself."

"What?"

"Nothing," Alieen says with a sigh. "Uhh. Hey, listen. I didn't find Leia but I did get a text from her. She told me she's fine but she'll be gone for the next few days."

"Oh," I say. "Okay."

Once more, I cannot help but sense something is off. I am using any of my powers, but it is like I can sense Alieen is lying.

"No," I tell myself, "Alieen is not lying. She is no liar, but something is off about her. I do not know what is it but something is certainly off about her."

The ride back home is strangely uncomfortable. I feel like the Alieen I have grown to know is different from the Alieen that is driving me. When I compared the two in my head, the Alieen that I first met is unbelievably caring. She gave me, a complete stranger, food, clothing, and even housing. This Alieen, however, is distant and quiet. She had not said much and is not smiling. I cannot be sure but for some reason, the distance and quietness are spreading to me. I do not want to say anything. I do not want to smile. All I want to do is focus on the road ahead of me. By the time Alieen and I arrive back at the apartment, Matt and Alfred are already there.

"Hey you two," Matt says, stepping out of the kitchen. "Did you two find Leia?"

"No," I answer, "No we did not. But she did send a text to Alieen."

"A text," Alfred says, also stepping out of the kitchen.

"Yes," Alieen answers. "A text. She told me she's fine but that she'll be gone for a few days."

"How could you have gotten a text from Leia," Matt asks. "You were in such a rush this morning, you left your phone here."

"What," I ask.

"Matt," Alieen screams.

"What," Matt shouts with a shrug of his shoulders. "Alfred and I tried to call you but we couldn't because you left your phone here."

"You left your phone here," I repeat to myself. I turn my head and look at a shaking Alieen.

"I can explain," Alieen says. "Yes. I didn't have my phone on me but-but-but--"

Alieen does not finish. Instead, she just turns around and runs upstairs. The three of us can hear the sound of her slamming her door follow by the sound of what I can only guess is crying.

"Alieen is crying," I say, "Why?"

"I don't know," Alfred answers.

"Better question," Matt says, interrupting. "Why did she lied about getting a text? What's happening?"