Chapter 46: The Last Supper

Lafayette:

It feels different this time. I come here all the time to meet up with Jacob but, today, it feels different. As I push open the glass door, I hear the bell ring and the first thing to hit me is the smell of greasy foods. Normally, I would be a little happy to be here. Despite the meetings with Jacob to discuss my lack of progress in locating A, I would still use this as an excuse to order myself a milkshake with extra whipped cream. This time though, I don't want a milkshake.

I turn my head and as expected, Jacob is sitting in our usual booth, the one closest to the end of the small dinner. Walking toward the booth, I turn left and right but don't see anyone else. It makes sense considering it's so late at night. According to the schedule posted on the door, the dinner will close in less than 10 minutes. Still, I thought I would at least see Samo, the owner and chef of the dinner. Every time Jacob and I would come here, I would see Samo standing behind the counter, grilling or frying something. The fact that he isn't here this time scares me.

"Hello Lafayette," Jacob says as soon as he sees me. He looks up from his order of french fries in a foam container. "I'm surprised to see you here."

"Really," I ask, taking the seat opposite to Jacob. "You're surprised to see me? Wasn't that the point of kidnapping my friends and leaving that note?"

Jacob shakes his head as he takes another French fry and throws it into his mouth. I have to wait as Jacob chews on his fry.

"I told you," Jacob says after he swallows. "I told you it was dangerous to be down here for too long. I never should have allowed you to come down here to begin with."

"Yeah, well it's too late now," I say. "You did allow me to come down here, and for that, I am beyond thankful. Now, tell me where Alieen, Matt, and Alfred are!"

"No," Jacob says, pushing the French fries out of the way.

"Jacob," I yell, standing up and slamming my fist onto the table. I guess Jacob must have seen this coming, hence why he moved the fries. "This isn't like you! Why did you take them to begin with?"

"It's because they know too much," Jacob shouts back. "You told them!"

"I never told them anything!"

"You can't lie to me Lafayette!"

"I'm not lying! They...know about A but they don't know about me. At least, not Matt and Alfred. Alieen knows a little."

"What do you mean by 'a little'?"

I sigh as I sit back down and rub the sides of my head.

"Alieen knows I have powers but that's it. She doesn't know anything else. Still, that's no reason to kidnap them!"

"What is the rule, Lafayette? What is the rule? Did you forget?"

"No. I didn't forget."

"Then tell me. Tell me what the rule is. Tell me what is the one rule we angles must all follow whenever we come down here to Earth?"

"It's--," I start, looking away. "It's--"

"What is it," Jacob yells. "Tell me."

"It's don't get close," I say. "The rule is not to get close to the humans."

"And you broke that rule," Jacob says. "That's why you're leaving. You're going back to Heaven. You, me, and A."

"And what about my friends? What will happen to them?"

"Those three will have their memories wiped," Jacob answers. He said it so coldly that I shivered. "Alieen, Matt, and Alfred will have their memory wiped. The last two years will be nothing but a blank for them. They won't remember you, A, or anything about you two."

As I let Jacob's words sink in, I raise my head. I stop looking at the table and look Jacob right in his eyes.

"No," I say.

"What?"

"No," I repeat. "I am not going back to Heaven. And you will not erase anyone's memory. Jacob, I am sorry, but I cannot let any of that happen."

Out of the corner of my eyes, I see Jacob's hands shaking. His mouth is closed but I can still hear the sound of his teeth as they grind against each other. Staring Jacob right in the eyes, I see a hint of red.

"Again," I say, "Jacob. I am so, so sorry about all of this. I really am, and I will never forget anything you have done for me, but I just can't. I can't go back to Heaven. At least, not yet."

"So that's your choice," Jacob whispers. "Fine then. I wanted to do this peacefully. I didn't want this to lead to a fight but I guess it can't be helped."

While still looking at Jacob, I notice the glass window behind him. I see Moses quietly getting up from one of the booths. He's quietly walking toward me with his hands open.

"Yeah," I say. "I guess it can't be helped. Jacob."

"Lafayette," Jacob says with a nod.

Moving fast, I shoot out my hand and pick up the foam container with all the French fries. Throwing them at Jacob, he raises his hands to shield himself. While Jacob is busy shielding himself, I get up and turn to face Moses. Cupping my hands together, I throw a telekinesis ball but Moses quickly deflects it. Literally swinging it out of the way, my telekinesis ball hits the counter, knocking off a bunch of napkin holders and ketchup bottles. Cupping his own hands together, Moses makes a telekinesis ball too, and throws it at me. I try to deflect it like Moses but his power is stronger than mine. I scream as Moses's telekinesis ball kicks me out of the dinner.

I moan as I push myself off of broken glass. Struggling to catch my breath, I turn to see Moses and Jacob flying out of the broken window. They land only a few feet away from me. They both watch me as I push myself up with shaking arms, standing there with crossed arms.

"You can't beat me or Moses," Jacob says. "We're both stronger than you. Just give it up, Lafayette. You lose."

"Maybe I will lose," I say, pushing myself onto my feet. "But I think we at least have a better chance."

"We," Jacob repeats.

"We," I repeat with a weak smile. Seeing someone sneaking up behind the two, I quickly jump onto the ground and lay flat against it.

Jacob:

Watching as Lafayette jumps onto the ground and lays on it, I turn around and see a whole lamppost swinging toward us.

"Watch out," I yell, flying out of the way.

"What," Moses says, turning around. As he turns around, Moses sees the incoming lamppost and tries to fly out of the way too but it's too late. The two of us are hit by the lamppost. Screaming as I roll through the air, I manage to flip through it and catch myself, my feet landing on the parking lot. Looking up, I see A standing with a bent lamppost in his arms.

"You have our friends," A says, grabbing and helping Lafayette to her feet. "And we want them back."

Looking at Lafayette as she stands side-by-side with A, I shake my head.

"I can't believe you," I say.

"I'm sorry Jacob," Lafayette says, "But as A said, you have our friends. And we want them back."