Sixteen

It had been a long time since you had last left Asgard. When Tyr had worked with the Allfather, most of your training had consisted of travelling between worlds and spreading diplomacy.

Your master was not only a god of warfare, but he was also skilled with words. He had managed to negotiate a treaty with the dwarves that provided Asgard with their inventions and protected them from monsters.

Since he had disappeared, Odin had enslaved them. He would never have given anything just to get something he desired.

At that time you had also travelled many of the worlds with Thor. Or rather, he had forced you to visit them all with him so that you could show him and explain things he had no idea about. You had spent hours telling him about flowers from Vanaheim, showing him the light of the albs in Alfheim.

Sometimes you had even tamed a wild creature in Jötunheim to ride out with Thor.

The memories made you smile softly again. It had not all been bad.

In fact, when you thought about it, it had been almost perfect.

Until the time the Allfather had gotten his hands on one of Tyr's prophecies.

After that, he had considered you an enemy. And he had punished you accordingly.

No, he had not punished you but made the threat harmless. An enemy who posed no threat did not need to be feared.

Accordingly, the All-Father had done all he could to eradicate the danger you posed. And now he was using you as a decryption tool for everything your master had left behind.

"The map...", you muttered, frowning.

Would it be important to steal it?

No other prophecy mentioned another map, and even without this piece of the puzzle, everything you had found out so far seemed logical. Either this map would reveal something completely new or just add details to what you already knew.

Tyr had always said that the full truth would only be revealed when every detail was gathered. You had always thought that was nonsense, because many of his visions had come true, except for tiny changes. But those details had not been severely important.

So why should it have changed now?

"You're frowning.", Thor said as if it pulled him down to see the wrinkles on your forehead.

Torn from your thoughts, you blinked.

"People frown when they think about something.", you replied but gifted him a mild smile anyways.

"It makes you look old."

Annoyed, you pulled a face.

"You're one to talk.", you flicked two fingers against his bulky stomach as you passed to walk down the path that guided the way across the world trees branches. "I've never seen a god get old."

He let out a hum, nodded as if he was used to hearing such things and started to follow you.

Even though the two of you traveled together he tried to keep his distance. Perhaps it was because he feared your rage if he would get too close. Or he was just unsure himself if he wanted to be closer to you than necessary.

Either way it was quite weird to look at from afar, two godly beings walking the branches of the world tree, so far apart they could be strangers.

"We are, aren't we?", you asked yourself so silently that he wasn't able to hear. "Strangers..."

Saying what you had been thinking all these years hurt like a blade in your chest.

And yet it was not surprising. It had only been a matter of time before you two came to the point where you meant no more to each other than a passing face.

What a bitter sweet thought when you remembered that you had once been one heart and soul.

Secretly you longed for some of those old memories.

You wanted to fall asleep again with your back pressed against his chest. You wanted to feel his heartbeat pounding against your spine and be awakened by his thunderous snores.

The thought made you smile.

Thor noticed.

He couldn't quite see your face but was tall enough to see if your expression changed. The sight of the corners of your mouth lifted made him smile too.

This was probably the first time he had smiled in weeks without pretending.

"Where are you taking me, my clever quill?", he asked.

As soon as the old nickname was pronounced by him, goose bumps crept down your spine.

You used to carry a quill around with you to record new discoveries for Tyr in a book. On adventures with Thor you had used this quill to draw pictures of him. Sometimes you also tried to include yourself in the captured moments.

At that time the walls of his chambers had been covered with these drawings.

Sif had torn them all down. They probably no longer existed.

With a deep breath you closed your eyes and clenched your hands into fists.

If you wanted to use Thor for your own purposes, you had to show him a little more kindness at some point. Just because he poked carelessly at old wounds, you couldn't yell at him or argue again.

It was not his intention to hurt you. Nor was it his intention to be spiteful. It was not in his nature.

A trembling sigh left your lips.

"Tyr left me information about Ragnarok.", you said. "Some poems. Maps."

Curious, Thor tilted his head.

"What did my brother tell you?", he asked. "Allvater knows all the prophecies about Ragnarok. If it were real, he would have already checked this way."

Your eyes twitched.

Twilight awoke in you.

Why should he know?

It would be better to keep things to yourself or he might change his mind and turn against you after all.

On the other hand, it was important to feed his curiosity. You knew all too well that too many secrets made him grouchy and suspicious.

Thor wasn't the quickest thinker but he wasn't an idiot either.

Taking a deep breath, you lifted your chin and turned to him.

"My master had a vision just before he disappeared.", you said. "He saw a way for everyone to survive and for the worlds to be reborn."

Thor's thick eyebrows drew together.

"Why did he not share this vision with Allfather? Tyr was loyal until he disappeared."

A mocking smile appeared on your face.

"You don't know.", you breathed.

"Don't know what?"

"Tyr had not been loyal to Odin for a long time. He knew that the Allfather would betray him."