Concern

"Maybe you're the killer. I mean, you certainly have the muscles for it." I said, rasing an eyebrow.

Chad gasped dramatically and looked at me in a faked expression of hurt.

"Wow, so you're accusing me now? You almost sound like Mindy, throwing accusations around."

Chad, Ethan and I were walking across campus. It was a sunny day, a warm breeze passed gently by. But the atmosphere did not match the beautiful weather. The latest killings had everyone on edge. Joking around and accusing each other might calm the nerves for now. But the knowledge that there's a killer out there, targeting our friends. The mere thought of it made my insides turn.

Ethan had been quiet the whole walk. He usually wasn't as loud as Chad. I honestly doubt that they would have become friends if they weren't roommates, considering they were so different. Ethan being quiet was not unusual, but he looked unusually deep in thought while we were walking. I can't help but to wonder what's on his mind.

I gave the tall boy a gentle nudge.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked and looked up at him. It was as if the question startled him, he blinked and looked down at me. It was no secret that Ethan was attractive, especially with those brown puppy eyes, but as a general rule I don't date friends. Makes things so complicated, so I've been trying to suffocate this little crush I've had on him for a while.

He opened his mouth to answer, but was interrupted by Chad yelling and waving. He saw Tara, Sam, Anika, Quinn and Mindy further away on campus. All but Mindy was sitting down. Probably discussing the "rules" for horror movies and theorizing who could be the killer. I've never understood the charm of horror movies. Especially when reality becomes one.

Chad left us to go and join them. I didn't move, just watched Ethan. Waiting for him to answer my previous question and ready to listen.

"Oh, uhm. Nothing important. Why do you wanna know?" He adjusted his backpack that was about to fall off his shoulder and gave me a reassuring smile. Or atleast one that was supposed to be reassuring. I just shrugged.

"I don't know, I thought something was bothering you. You know, I wanted to see if you were okay. Everything is so fucked up right now. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a lot on your mind." I said, refering to the whole ass killer walking around. I let out a breath.

He looked at me with different eyes than he usually did. Almost like he was... Surprised, to hear concern from my voice?

"Oh," he said under his breath. "Thanks but I'm good. I have a lot of, uhm, studying to do." He said and nodded. I nodded as well, and started to walk towards the others.

He quickly catched up and started walking beside me.

"Are you okay?" He asked concerned.

I remained silent for a short period.

"Well, yeah technically I'm okay. But I'm honestly scared. Whoever is doing this is obviously very dangerous. I'm scared of losing our friends. I'm scared of him, honestly. Or her, who fucking knows."

We were almost by the others now. Ethan was silent for an uncomfortably long beat, thinking.

"You'll be fine." He said, with a low careful voice. I glanced at him and smiled lightly at his attempt to calm my nerves.

"Thanks, but you don't know that."

"Trust me. Nothing bad will happen to you." It almost sounded like he made a promise. The certainty in his voice had me rising an eyebrow of disbelief. But I didn't get the chance to continue the conversation before we had joined up with the others.

He's just trying to be nice. No one is safe right now, not until the psycho that's behind this is dead.