XI

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Once you and Ranpo had finally arrived at the address in Tokyo, the two of you stood outside the nondescript apartment building, your anticipation building as you both wondered if this was the right place. After a few moments of hesitation, Ranpo confidently knocked on the door.

As the door creaked open, a mysterious man's face came into view, lit up with excitement, his dark eyes widening in disbelief. There, standing before him, was none other than his idol, the brilliant detective, Ranpo Edogawa. But as his gaze flickered past Ranpo, he suddenly realised that he wasn't alone. His eyes widened a fraction more as they settled on the figure beside Ranpo—you, with your striking features and an easy smile.

You had never seen him before—but you thought he was rather handsome. He was tall and lean, and a man with a certain air of mystery about him, his long brown mullet and tousled bangs lending him an almost feral appearance. He wore a pristine white mandarin collar button-up shirt, the perfect canvas to accentuate the sharp contours of his face. A loosely tied white ribbon adorned his neck, adding a touch of elegance to his outfit. But what really made him stand out was the raccoon perched on his shoulder, as if it were an extension of his being. The creature, with its round eyes and soft, fluffy fur, added an unexpected charm to the already captivating man. The raccoon seemed to have a mischievous glint in its eye, as if it was in on some secret that no one else knew.

"Hi," you greeted with a charming smile. "My name's [Y/N]. It's nice to meet you."

The man with the raccoon felt his heart stutter in his chest at the sound of your melodic voice. Your beauty left him momentarily speechless as he took in the soft curves of your face, the beguiling [E/C] of your eyes, and the luxurious flow of your [H/C] hair in the wind. His gaze lingered on you for a moment too long, which Ranpo had taken definite notice of, and he cleared his throat, causing the man's cheeks to flush with embarrassment. Honestly, you found it kind of cute.

"U-Um, hello. My name's Poe." He stammered, suddenly aware of his unkempt appearance. He smoothed down his cream-coloured tailcoat and ran a hand through his brown mullet, trying to regain his composure. But as he looked back up at you, his heart raced once more. He didn't quite understand what this feeling was—but it was similar to what he felt whenever he was around Ranpo. "It's very nice to meet you too...are you Ranpo's girlfriend?"

Ranpo almost choked on air. "Absolutely not."

You just chuckled, waving your hand in the air dismissively. "No, just colleagues. We're working on this case together." You looked at Ranpo with a sickly sweet smile on your face, especially since he tried to pull a fast one and come to Tokyo without you. "Right Ranpo?"

He rolled his eyes.

Poe let out a relieved breath, his blush deepening. "Oh, I see. Sorry, I didn't mean to assume." He glanced back at Ranpo, whose eyes were suddenly thinned on Poe and his raccoon. Poe didn't quite know what to make of that. "Well, come on in!" He stepped aside to let the two of you enter the apartment, the raccoon on his shoulder seemingly eyeing you up and down with curiosity.