Chapter ten: lies and feeling like a little kid

Finney really regretted his promise to Paperboy in the morning, Gwen, Robin and Griffin were still sleeping.
Heck, they didn’t even have made out a time to meet up. And yet he lay awake in his bed, Robin sleeping next to him. Same goes for Gwen and Griffin. He just couldn't convince the three of them to leave him alone after his nightmare. Gwen had even tried to find out what it was about, but Finney had blocked any attempts

He knew it was mean, or at least it must seem that way to Gwen, but he didn't want to involve her.
At least he'd persuaded them all to just sleep and not talk about it.

He looked at the three.
The boys' sleep was very different from Gwen's. While she appeared to be sound asleep, almost like a rock, Robin in particular seemed to be on high alert.
And Griffin didn't sleep very well either, he was restless all the time.

The Grabber had watched them sleep, though Finney didn't think Robin had even gotten as far as to sleep.
He looked at the boy, he looked almost peaceful for an unknowing eye. And still his face alone made Finney feel some kind of hope.
They wouldn't be alone. They would never have to face that monster alone.
He smiled, the fabric of his bed covers felt so much warmer and safer than ever.

Suddenly something moved in the corner of his eye. It wasn't a shadow, and yet he winced, stiff as a board.

"Finney?"

He closed his eyes, but then opened them and nodded.

"Be quiet.. the two are still asleep." he whispered and didn't look in the direction of his sister, who just sighed.

"Then we'll get up.. Billy mentioned anyway that he'll pick you up in the morning. So to deliver the newspaper. We can get up." she said, still keeping her voice low.

Finney didn't answer in the form of words, but by trying to get out of bed as silently as possible without waking either of them.

"Finn, ¿por qué diablos estás despierto? Son como las tres de la mañana.." Robin hadn't even opened his eyes while he was mumbling, Finney barely understanding his Spanish so sleepy he was.

"Sorry.. go back to sleep." he whispered to him, but he wasn't sure if Robin had even heard him.

But it was a good thing they didn't startle, even if Griffin mumbled something confused, still completely sleepy himself.

He smiled softly, then silently got out of bed, next to which he saw his sister already standing.

"How did you get out of it without waking them both up?" Gwen rolled her eyes, crossing her arms. She noticed that Finney wanted to change the subject.

"I wasn't literally buried under those two."

Finney nodded.
“It really was just a bad dream Gwen.” he didn’t want to explain anything to her, because each and every element of that dream hasn't happened yet. He wasn't kidnapped, and neither was anyone else.
Though the question of what those shadows were clung to his brain like a flea to a mouse.

“You screamed for your friends, me and even dad.” she didn’t want to let go. Finney shifted uncomfortable on his floor, the wood feeling way to cold on his feet.

“Let’s not talk about this while they are sleeping, okay?” he sighed in defeat. He lied straight in her face for the second or third time now. He hated this. He didn’t want to lie to her, but he couldn't tell her.

Gwen snorted, grabbed her brother's hand and pulled him out of the room and into the hallway.
"Finney, what if you have dreams too?" she was still whispering, but this time there was a much sharper and more urgent note in her voice.
She didn't let go of her hand, as if she feared losing it if she didn't.
Finney looked down before taking a deep breath. He wouldn't let his sister pressure him into putting her in danger.
"Gwen, I barely remember that dream." he lied. He lied straight to your face, again.