Prologue

I was shaken awake by trembling hands, violently pushing me until I finally opened my eyes. I saw a pair of stormy grey eyes filled with fear staring back at me. His curly black hair fell over his pale, nine-year-old face giving a dead giveaway of who the little boy was.

"What is it, Reg?" I asked as I rubbed my eyes. I don't get much sleep anyway but of the precious moments of peaceful bliss, something always came up.

"There's a monster under my bed, Prox!" the little boy exclaimed. I internally banged my head against my bedpost.

"Aren't you getting a little old for this?" I said. "You're nine-years-old, Regulus." He shook his head rapidly.

"I really heard it!" he insisted. I groaned and then got out of bed. I slipped on my slippers while adjusting the collar on my pajamas.

I ran a hand through my hair. "Show me where it is," I said. Regulus bolted out of the room and into the corridor. In case there was an actual monster, I began to rehearse the spells I learned from my spell book.

Orion and Walburga didn't allow Sirius and I to use wands so I had to improvise. I taught myself wand-less magic so I could actually defend myself. I wouldn't be the vulnerable little boy my parents thought I was.

I entered Regulus's room to find him pressed against the farthest wall away from the bed. I rolled my eyes.

"Come on, Reg, nothings there—"

I was cut off by a wail that echoed from the bed. I heard the rustling of leaves and a creature that looked like a Bowtruckle who was made of wood, seven feet tall, and had a murderous expression on its face.

I covered Regulus's mouth as he was about to scream. I turned to him and uttered one word that had him bolting down the corridor. 

"Run."

The Hidebehind roared. "Herbivicus!" I said. Gnarled roots tore through the wooden floor and entangled the monster. I then proceeded to sprint out of the house. I saw Regulus breathing heavily on the street outside our house.

I knew that my mother and father wouldn't bother to come to our aid so when I saw the Hidebehind burst out of the house, I hid Regulus behind me as I extended my arm at the monster.

"Incendio!" a plume of fire erupted out of my hand. The flames immediately scorched the Hidebehind as it was made of wood. With one final wail, it fell to the ground. I exhaled a breath I didn't know I was holding.

I pointed at the Hidebehind. "Evanesco," I muttered. The monster disappeared. I turned to Regulus. "Let's go, Reg."

I heard a pebble roll on the pavement behind me. Regulus stopped but I ushered him into the house. "I'll be right behind you," I told him. He nodded and entered the house. When I was completely sure he was in, I turned around.

"Who's there!" I said. I scanned the street. "Homenum Revelio!" I said, pointing my finger at the empty space. I saw the glint of a shield charm and smirked. They couldn't hide from me.

"Diffindo!" I said. A saw the shield shudder. I followed with a chain of spells. "Confringo! Expulso! Incendio! Bambarda Maxima!"

I felt a trickle of blood run from my nose, indicating that I was magically exhausted. I had to rely on my wit and strength. The shield deteriorated, revealing a group of seven people. I recognized them as Snatchers, people who Walburga and Orion frequently had meetings with.

"Ah," one of the Snatchers said. "If it isn't the eldest Black child."

"My name is Proximas," I retorted. I heard a growl and a hairy man walked in front, licking his lips.