Introduction

People are always surprised when I tell them I like the band U2. And they're almost always even more surprised when I tell them that U2 are my favorite band. When this happens, I usually get comments like "I've seen them live before!" or "I listen to their music when I'm sad" or "I've heard of them—I think my mom listens to their music". (These comments, except for the last one, are almost always said by adults that I've met). Then there are the people who I tell who just can't seem to grasp the idea of really anybody liking U2, much less the idea of how U2 can be anyone's favorite band. These types of people usually give me the same comment, which goes a little something like this (and I'm paraphrasing here): "Are you sure about that?"

The truth is, U2 are my favorite band. And I wholeheartedly believe that they are the best band ever. No other band in the world—past or present—can seem to compare to U2, their music or the legacy they've made for themselves over the years of their existence. Indeed, U2 is one of those bands that the world will never forget, no matter how hard it tries. And there is a lot to be said about the band and its members—particularly their frontman, Bono. But whether you love them or hate them, you will find it hard to discredit them as being one of the greatest rock bands in history.

These four musicians from Dublin, Ireland have upheld the title of "Greatest Band In the World" for the past forty years or so; ringing guitars, catchy, memorable melodies, a voice crusading for rock 'n' roll, and powerful live performances are exactly what make them so great. And the albums that U2 have put out over the years garner just as much—if not more—attention as the band's legacy does. After all, the songs in those albums are part of what makes the band so famous and so recognizable. And each album has their own quality that puts some over others in terms of greatness.

So while it's been hard for me to compare 15 albums of such varying quality, I had a lot of fun doing it. It basically gave me the excuse to listen to my favorite band's discography all over again. Researching other people's opinions of these albums also gave me a new perspective and somewhat of a new opinion on each of these albums, which I will probably hold up for a long time. But there's also the factor that this list is subject to change, although I don't see there being much change to it in the near future.

Word Count: 457
Date Published: March 23, 2023