7-Reward

I was escorted out of the room and into a hall with stained glass images of various priests and Aedra. Then he turned the corner and opened a door with a key. 

“These are your quarters.” The priest hands me the key. “Do not lose it.” 

“Thank you.” I nod at him and he bows, walking away. I enter the rooms which are kind of plain. There’s one bed with furs, a wardrobe, and a wash basin to the side. There was also a statue of a swan in the wardrobe. There was some Alto wine, an Eidar cheese wedge, and some bread to the side. They sure like fancy things. 

I set my items down and decide to explore the room. There’s a few dresses in the wardrobe, various pairs of shoes and a few magicka items. I walk out of the room, trying to find Rynhek. He was in the hall, trying to walk back to his own quarters. 

“Rynhek!” My heart nearly skips a beat when I catch him. He turns and there’s a huge smile on his face. 

“Aemma, it’s good to see you. How did your mission go?” He asked me. 

“It was good, actually. You seem to be in good spirits.” I look at him. 

“Well, it turns out I’ll be given my mask and priest name tomorrow night.” Rynhek’s eyes are twinkling. 

“Wow, that’s great!” I put my hand on my hip. “I’m sure you’re excited about that.” 

“I am. My father says my uncle is planning on giving me Solstheim.” Rynhek sighed. “It’s not much but maybe I’ll gain more later.” 

“Maybe so.” Priesthood does have its benefits, I imagine. You would be ridiculously rich, most of the tribute to the dragons goes to you, you could have as many wives and concubines as you wished, and plenty of land to control. However, you’d always be at the dragon’s mercy as well as your people’s mercy if they wished to turn on you. Unless you’re Vahlok then, everyone loves him, even the most rebellious of them. 

“I hope you can find it in your heart to watch your fellow half breed get initiated fully.” He gently nudges his elbow on my arm. I nudged him back, giggling. 

“I definitely will.” I smile back at him. 

“Great, I will be seeing you then. I have some stuff to do prior to the ceremony.” Rynhek crosses his arms. I nodded and walked away. I go to my quarters, having nothing to do. I lay down on the bed, falling asleep. 

**********************************************************************************************************

I’m eleven again. My mother is singing a song as she breaks the soil for planting. My grandfather is spreading seeds around the tilled soil and my grandmother is watering the seeds. 

“Thenhis, if you could hush and work on the soil quicker.” My grandfather spoke with annoyance. 

“I am sorry, Father.” She looked at the ground softly. My heart ached for my mother. My grandparents treated me like a burden, one that they had been tasked to care for when my mother’s marriage failed. 

“And you, stop lollygagging and start tilling.” My grandfather looked at me in disgust. I did not resemble my mother at all. I was quite tall, even for a eleven year old, I had started to blossom, and I had darker features than my fair haired and petite mother. I ran off to get the hoe. 

“You should have drank that tansy tea we offered you, Thenhis.” My grandfather snapped once he thought I was out of earshot. 

“Why? Aemma is my daughter.” 

“She’s a bastard born of a vile creature. When I see that child, all I see is a dragon that needs to be slain.” 

“Father!” I heard the sound of clinking metal. I can feel the tears in my eyes. I know they had no love in their hearts for me but to say that he wanted me dead…. 

“What? I’m surprised that the thing hasn’t come looking for its spawn.” He snapped. 

“Sven, that’s enough.” My grandmother snapped. “She can hear you. She’ll call them to end you.” 

“She’s welcome to try.” My grandfather spoke. “If the dragons come and burn us all, I’d be happy to never lay eyes on that creature again.” 

I walked out of the corner, till in hand, crying. 

“Aemma..” My mother rushes to comfort me. 

“Why are you so mean to me?” I ask him. “I didn’t ask to be born!” 

“You are not one of us. You are a freak of nature and you should-” He was going off on me like I was a man his age. 

“FUS!” I scream at him, not realizing what I had just done. The old man falls, tripping over my discarded till. 

*************************************************************************************************************

I woke back up from my dream. Since when did I have the gift of the Thu’um?