03. requel rules

chapter three,
requel rules

        CARLYN AND WES had barely made it back to his house when he got a call from his mom, telling them that the two of them needed to come in to the station for questioning

        CARLYN AND WES had barely made it back to his house when he got a call from his mom, telling them that the two of them needed to come in to the station for questioning. Apparently, Vince's body had been found outside the bar they'd gone to. And the last place anyone had seen him, he'd been inside, fighting with the group of teenagers.

An uneasy feeling settled in Carlyn's stomach. Tara getting attacked was one thing — one scary thing, but at least she wasn't dead — but an actual murder happening probably minutes after they left was another.

"What happened while you were in the bar?" Judy asked Carlyn, though at the work setting she was simply Sheriff Hicks.

"We were playing pool," Carlyn answered, eyes shifting around the room. She was in an interrogation room, one she'd seen many times on TV. It was so much more. . . chilling than it was on screen. "Vince came up to us and started trying to get Liv to come with him. . . and then me. Liv said he'd been bothering her for a while, so I guess Chad finally had enough. They were just arguing and then Vince pulled out a knife so we all got kicked out."

Judy nodded. "And what happened after?"

"We all left," Carlyn told her . "We said goodbye to each other and then we got in our cars. Chad with Mindy and Liv, me with Wes, and Amber by herself. I wasn't really paying attention so I don't know if Vince was out there. I guess I just kinda assumed he went home."

"Did you guys make any stops?"

Carlyn shook her head. "No." She looked down at her hands. "He was really killed that fast?" Sure, Vince was an asshole creep. . . but the thought of him being killed that quick made her sick. Judy smiled sadly at her. "And you think it was one of us?"

        "No," Judy told her honestly as she stood up and led the teenage girl outside of the room. "But you were the last people seen with him before he died so we just needed you guys to come in and answer a few questions."

        "Sheriff?" an officer came up to her. "There was just another Ghostface attack at the hospital."

        Carlyn's breath hitched in her throat.

        Tara.

        And another Ghostface attack? So soon to Vince's death?

        "Carlyn," Judy turned back to her when the officer left them alone. "I want you and Wes to go home, okay? Straight home."

        Carlyn couldn't do anything but nod. She walked further out to the waiting room area where her friends were all waiting. Carlyn didn't say anything about the attack at the hospital, not wanting to worry everyone.