Chapter 4

In summer, the creek was the perfect place to cool off with the many kids and companions splashing in the shade. Now that it was January, the water no longer tempted anyone, but that didn't stop them from enjoying their haven away from adults and homework. Teens raced their deer through the undergrowth, snakes peeked out of sleeves to spook unsuspecting newcomers, and a chorus of birdsong mingled with children's laughter.

Away from the chaotic crowds, termite mounds towered above a secluded clearing, with insects zooming around the twisting spires in a thick, buzzing cloud. To the five kids gathered beneath the bugs, the noise was not a nuisance but a welcome reminder that they were among friends. Mason's termites were as familiar to Taylor and Anna as their own companions, and while Jack's boar and Eliza's hummingbirds were very different from their bugs, they didn't let that stop them from hanging out together anymore.

Now, whether someone's companions happened to be creepy crawlies didn't matter. All that mattered was they always had each other's backs. Whether they were picking flowers to inspire Taylor and Eliza's art projects or venting about people who weren't as accepting of their companions, they were always ready to help each other.

When Anna told everyone about how badly the bakery was doing, Mason was devastated. "Mom and I get double chocolate chunk cookies every Monday since they're Dad's favorite. We've been going there as long as I can remember." Mason's fingers rubbed the piece of a termite mound he kept in his pocket. "What are we supposed to do if Sweet Surprise shuts down?"

"That's not gonna happen if I can help it," Anna said firmly. "I've been trying to figure out how we can get more people to come to Sweet Surprise, but it's been real hard coming up with stuff we could try. Do you guys have any ideas?"

They all sat quietly for a minute as they thought about what they could do.

"I know you said your parents don't think giving free samples at the bakery would work," Mason began, "but what if you tried selling some cookies by the creek? I bet there are tons of people around here who'd love to try some."

"I could bring some of our leftovers," Anna said. "Beats throwing most of them away, but I dunno if folks bring much money to the creek. Might have to give them a discount." Even if she had to give them away for free, that would at least help spread the word about the bakery. Besides, her grandpa always said the whole point of Sweet Surprise was to make people's lives a little sweeter.

"I could ask my dad if he'd let us sell some cookies at the store," Jack said. His boar, Harry, nudged his hand with a squeal. "Oh yeah, and speaking of my dad, he showed me something the other day—"

"Could you maybe tell me about it some other time?" Anna said. "I kinda have a lot on my mind."

"But I think it might—"

"Later."

Jack's jaw twitched as Harry stamped his hooves. Anna's bees drew closer to her, fully prepared to drown him out with their buzzing, but all he did was mumble something to himself and sigh. "Fine."

Eliza cleared her throat. "Maybe you guys could try selling something to go with what y'all bake," she said hesitantly. Her hummingbirds fluttered so close to her their wingbeats whipped her hair. "I mean, lots of people like getting both flowers and chocolate for Valentine's Day, so maybe you could do something like that."

"You don't think what we make is any good by itself?" Anna's bees buzzed sharply, flashing their stingers. Sweet Surprise might not get as many customers as it used to, but everything they made still tasted amazing.