2.9K 145 61

A broken skiff is seen as Alina's voice is heard, "When I was young, I was afraid of the dark." Thunder rumbles as she continues. "When I got older, I learned that darkness is a place, and it's full of monsters." A growl came from the ship as thunder rumbles showing a pair of wings.

The seen changes to show her drawing, "I live in East Ravka, but I've never been welcome here because I look like my mother, and she looked like the enemy."

Mal placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, squeezing it slightly in reassurance that no matter what she had him and Sandra as Alina just smiled at him. 

Aleksandra looked at the pair whilst smirking, Come on Mal, get the girl or I'll gladly take her.

Apollo pinched the demiprimordial's side causing her to squirm slightly as she pouted at the blonde.

"Alina, how can you do that in here?" A blonde male asks her.

"Bumps help with texture."

"The Fold looks different on mine. I need to get a better view from your country." Another male speaks looking at Alina with distrust. 

"She grew up here. Come on!" someone says smacking him on the head.

"The Shu Han didn't want her either."

Mal and Aleksandra glared at the cartographer. 

"Cartographers, listen up. We're almost there. Pack up and be ready to leave. And if you lose anything, you will not be getting a replacement." A female spoke as she lifted the curtain to see the group before returning her attention back onto the road.

"But they aren't the monsters. They're just boys." Alina's voice says as growls and horse whines are heard as the cartographers listen in fright. 

"I learned about my true enemy when I was a child."  A younger Alina is seen staring at the picture of the fold. "Is it real?" she asks scared.

"Of course it's real. The Fold ate your parents." The caretaker states. "It's the reason for many of the orphans here. People trying to cross. Taunting the Saints." 

A few looked at her in pity causing her to glare at them. She didn't need their pity.

"Then why cross it? Why not go around?" wonders Alina.

"Like that hasn't been tried before," scoffed Zoya getting a be quite look from the darkling.

"Read the map. The north want our Grisha dead, the south guards its mountains. We have nowhere else to go." The caretaker looks at her before changing the subject, "Now work on your shading, girl. Keep a pencil in your hand. Or else someone will put a rifle in it instead." 

"That won't really help," says Aleksandra shrugging.

"I spent years thinking I'd find a way out. Around the Fold, to go somewhere where no one cares where I'm from. But now, I'm old enough to know the only way out is through." She says as the cartography unit stares at the vastness of the fold.