PROLOGUE

Santa Clara, California

-

Y/N's POV

"I need some water."

"My hands hurt."

"When are we going to rest?"

These were just the complains I heard as I adjusted my guitar strap. I then chuckled before looking at their faces. Oh, they're pissed pissed.

"Fine. Let's rest and eat lunch. We gotta go back asap, though." I said as I turned off the gadget and ampilifier.

The girls quickly turned off their equipment and immediately ran after the door, which made me shake my head and chuckle.

"Come on, Y/LN. It's not bad to take a break." Mr. Turner patted my back as he followed the girls.

We have been playing in local bars and events for nearly three years already. The band was formed when my American Politics professor, Mr. Turner, set out an audition for all freshmen to compete in an annual battle of the bands against sophomores, juniors, and seniors at our university.

I remembered the feeling of excitement as he told me I've gotten the position as the frontman and the rhythm guitarist, and to meet him after class.

In there, I was met with three other girls.

The bassist introduced herself as Brook, who took Bioengineering. The lead guitarist introduced herself as Cleo, who took Finance. The drummer, Julian, was my classmate and we both took Political Science.

The four of us already had our ideas in sync during the first hour of our meeting with Mr. Turner, so, we were convinced that he had a keen sense for musicians.

Subsequently, it developed into the beginning of an incredible friendship.

After being the first freshmen in our university's history to win in a band contest, we received numerous offers to perform at events and lounges throughout the city, earning the moniker "The Freshmen." Aside from the fact that we were all female and would be sophomores the next year, we initially thought it was funny. We then brainstormed band names and settled on 4 Mile Drive, which was well-liked by everyone.

We easily dominated the competition in our sophomore year, giving us back-to-back championships.

We genuinely believed that the College Battle of the Bands and the city's local bands festivals would be the only significant events we would ever perform at, and that we would only be playing for neighborhood lounges and local gatherings. It wasn't until last week that a man by the name of John Janick got in touch with Mr. Turner and the University to let them know we were invited to perform as a local act at the Interscope Records' 27th Anniversary, which will be held in our city. We were also instructed to play Maroon 5 music in addition to that.

Even though I've never liked Imagine Dragons, opening for them alongside OneRepublic is something we never anticipated happening.

As much as Mr. Turner attempted to keep it cool in front of us, he somehow slipped and unintentionally disclosed that Santa Clara University is urging for us to provide them good visibility. As a result, we've been working our necks off to avoid disappointing the attendees and Santa Clara University.

Following the girls onto Mr. Turner's car, I heard him laugh as he made fun of their "misery."

"Speaking of the devil." He smirked at me before staring at the girls, earning series of groans.

"Damn right. Don't let that devil get in here." Cleo groaned as I sat beside her.

"Well, you could have a shot at the Record Label if you're able to pull this off. And speaking of, how did your parents take the information?" Mr. Turner stated as he started driving.

"Well.. about that shot, my dad told me I should focus on studies after this event. So.." Cleo shrugged.

"They honestly don't care. As long as I'm happy." Julian answered as she grabbed a pack of candies.

"Same." Brook and I said in unison, snatching the pack from Julian.

"Well, we don't want to speak for the future so for the mean time, let's just focus on the present." We nodded in agreement as we then talked about random things.

We drove for ten minutes to get to Burger King, where we placed our different lunch orders. We had a bit of a wait because we were so hungry, but after a little while, our meal came and we began to aggressively eat it, which made Mr. Turner laugh and shake his head.

"Alright, kids. Let us review the lists." He took out his little notebook and pen that he always carry around and started writing.

"They've given you five songs to perform, right? Misery as opening, followed by This Love, Maps, One More Time, then Moves Like Jagger for closing. Alright, now everything's phenomenal, I'm telling you, but, you, Y/N, you need to work on your vocals on One More Time, alright? I know it's a hard song to sing, but I trust you, kid. Practice makes perfect. Julian, the timing on every intros, always keep an eye for that alright? Your cues are the most crucial in here. Cleo, everything is a chef's kiss. Brooke, basslines are perfect."

We paid close attention as Mr. Turner provided his input. He was in a band before enrolling in law school, and he is currently one of the people in charge of organizing a number of local band festivals in the area, so if there is anyone we should be able to trust when it comes to performing, it would be him.

Mr. Turner stared at us, hoping for an answer, "Is everything noted, girls?"

He laughed as we humorously saluted him with our fingers raised in the air.

Mr. Turner grinned to himself and nodded to us like a proud father, "Well, this is exactly why I chose all of you in the first place. Aside from the fact that you're all tremendously talented, you all gained a key component a band should have. The unity and the harmony."

We all smiled to ourselves as Mr. Turner added, "Now, finish up your foods. We have an anniversary and an audience to knock dead."

-----------------------------

A/N :

Time jump next chapter. Let me know your thoughts!