ONE.

"𝐋𝐨𝐨𝐤, 𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐞, 𝐚𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭? 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡

"𝐋𝐨𝐨𝐤, 𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐞, 𝐚𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭? 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡."

The teen spoke into the pay phone that was occupying his right ear.

"Negro, you say I worry too much when you're the one on your way to the De Haan's. Do you even know the kind of rep they have out here?" A girl responded in a hushed tone.

The curly-haired boy, rolled his eyes as his best friend began her tangent. It was nothing that he hadn't already heard; the De Haan's are dangerous, they ruin people's lives, if you ever cross them or disappoint them, they'll wipe you from the face of the earth and no one will remember who you are.

A bit dramatic, right?

It was honestly comical, but he appreciated the sentiment and even began to wonder if the crush that the two had on each other back in the 4th grade began to resurface for her.

He chuckled at her persistence, before noticing her voice go quiet. He just knew that she had been rolling her eyes on the other end of the phone. "Why're you laughing?"

He shrugged. "'Cause you funny as hell."

She let out a sigh, "Well, I'm glad you find my worries entertaining, Montero."

The pleased look on his face vanished once she said his full name. Montero wasn't really a fan of his full name, because it was something that his parents gave him. And his relationship with them was... complicated, to say the least.

"Now you know good and well that ion like to be called that."

"Right, right. Because lil' ole Montero has daddy issues." She teased.

"Girl, quit playing with me." He deadpanned.

"Doesn't feel so good when it's on the other foot, does it?"

Now it was his turn to roll his eyes. As much as the girl got on his nerves he wouldn't trade her for anyone else in this lifetime. She was a true friend. A true ride or die.

"Aight. You made your point." He mumbled.

"But forreal, about this whole moving to the Upper East Side-thing, I'm not worried and neither should you b–" Before he could finish she cut him off.

"But, Monte, the De Haan's–"

"Do you forget that I share the same last name as them?" He queried, which caused her to go mute.

There was a silence in the air. He knew that she cared and he wasn't offended by the way that she talked down on the family name, he's heard many stories about the De Haan's, but he wasn't them. He was Monte. Just Monte.

"You know, Jordan, if I didn't know any better, I'd think you caring so much meant that you were starting to like me again." He finally broke the silence with a toothy grin.