Chapter 8

Both Rangers slept peacefully until the piercing sound of a scream broke the night. Crowley woke instantly, springing out of bed, eyes wide and hair stood on end, as he realized just where the sound was coming from. Halt...

Halt was seated bolt upright on his bed, covers thrown off, panting furiously, eyes wide and staring. Crowley rushed straight to his side, startled and worried.

"Halt! You screamed!" Crowley spoke before thinking, watching his friend who was taking deep breaths, eyes tightly closed and his chin relaxing on his knees.

"Well done for observing that." Halt answered between deep breaths, eyebrow raised though his eyes were still closed. "A gold oakleaf for you." Crowley sighed; eyes filled with worry as he extended a hand to rest it on Halt's shoulder.

"Are you okay? Are your nightmares getting worse?" Crowley asked quickly, ignoring the sarcastic response.

"You sound like Sir David's son. Always asking two questions at once." Crowley narrowed his eyes, and waited for Halt to answer his question, hoping that Halt wouldn't try to distract him. "You know that boy would make a good -"

"Halt. Are you okay?" Crowley interrupted firmly, his good patience coming to an end. After being woken up by a scream and having to deal with Halt's stubbornness, he lost his patience very quickly.

"Yes." Halt answered firmly, opening his eyes finally. "I'm fine, Crowley." Crowley withdrew his hand and sat down on the floor by Halt's bed.

"You know, Halt, it might help if you told me what these nightmares are about." Crowley asked calmly, expecting no response, and was rather startled when Halt began to speak.

With a weak, strangely uncertain voice for the Hibernian, Halt spoke "It's a memory. I was hit on the head while in the water, but instead of coming back up to the surface, I sink farther and deeper into the water and drown." He shuddered, suddenly drawing his blankets around him. "It's so real." He whispered.

Crowley paused, uncertain of what to say. He hadn't expected Halt to admit what his nightmares were about like that, and now Halt had done so, he wasn't sure what to say. Eventually he looked up at Halt. "You must rest, Halt. I'm very sorry you have nightmares, but you must sleep. You've got a fever and you're rather ill." He got to his feet as Halt reluctantly lowered himself back down to the pillow.

"Sorry for waking you."

"It's fine." Crowley retired back to his bed, and eventually returned to sleep, not sure what would greet him when he awoke next.