Chapter 22

Hunter's POV:

Hunter's POV:

Deafening silence penetrated my senses the minute I walked through my front door. A deep sigh flew from my mouth as I dragged myself up the massive staircase and into my two story bedroom. Turning on the TV for background noise, I then changed into some comfortable pajamas. An oversized t-shirt with oversized sweatpants was the mood for today.

Hearing and seeing Lauren's reaction to her mother's passing really hit me. I'd reacted almost the same way when my father died three years ago.

I'm aware that everyone thinks I live in a two parent household and both my parents have these fancy jobs so they're always really busy. The truth is, my mother takes the Ellis family name too seriously around here to have anyone thinking we're imperfect or 'struggling.' We literally have this fat ass house and money to last us two lifetimes yet my father's death is her definition of 'us struggling.' So now she acts as if his death never happened. Anytime someone asks about him she comes up with a very different and convincing lie.

I'm not allowed to bring him up at all. Anytime I do, she acts as if I've just threatened her entire existence and gives me the silent treatment. Did I mention she's almost 40, and gives her own child the silent treatment? Also, my mother is not very nice to me, at all. She's never been the nurturing type, but ever since my father died, she barely acknowledges my presence. It hurts, of course, but I try not to let it get to me. I realized, long ago, that she's a human with her own faults, first, before she is my mother. My disappointment in her is simply my own fault for having those expectations in the first place. It took a while for me to learn that.

As of now, we just stay out of each other's way. I don't bother her, and- not that she would- she doesn't bother me. Do I wish things were different? Of course. Everyone wants love and affection on some level, but hey, life's not fair right?

Since coming in last night, I've done nothing but sleep and watch TV. It was close to five in the afternoon now, and my mother still hasn't shown up. It didn't worry me much because sometimes she'll be in town, but would take forever to come home. As far as I'm concerned, she could stay wherever the hell she's at.

I've been laying around all day, and now I'm getting bored. Deciding to treat myself to a little dinner, I got up from my bed, threw on a decent outfit, put on makeup and perfume, then headed to my car.

Most of the restaurants in Florida usually have the same vibes. I mean, it's Florida. A while back though, I found this really nice joint that played live music and served some of the best food I'd ever tasted in my life. One day, I was sad and wanted to do something spontaneous like taking myself out to eat. Close friends aren't easy to come by for me, and my mother's, well....she's my mother. Then there's my dad, who's dead, so he was no help. Long story short, a bitch was lonely. But once I entered that place, everything I was feeling just kind of....paused. And I've been coming here alone ever since.