CHAPTER 5

QHAWE

I quickly take the stairs in hopes to find Mbali downstairs but I guess when you live in the ninth floor of a 12 floor flat you're bound to miss a person using the elevator. Damn these electrical things! When I arrive downstairs I find the spot Mbali's car was parking on empty. To say I'm hurt would be an understatement. I just take what's left of my heart and go back inside the building and catch up on some studying. I try studying for an hour but my mind is just too distracted so I end up ditching them books and catching up on some sleep.

After some time my phone rings and I just grab it from under my pillow with a very displeased attitude because one thing about me I really treasure my sleep. I just answer without checking who is calling and I just say my infamous 'ufunani' everytime I answer with when I'm pissed off.

'Heyi when Qhawe musa ukungibhedela , how dare you speak like that to me huh? Since when mntanami? My mom asked with a tone laced with annoyance and I knew if I shot back with an attitude I'd literally push her to fly to joburg just to give me a piece of her mind.

'I'm sorry maZulu it's just that I was sleeping and you know how much your son loves his sleep. What's up mah cause ngiyazi you wouldn't call me for nothing' I said with a sincere voice.

'hawu so I can't call my son and just check up on him? I miss you mntanami, when are you coming back home futhi Qhawe you're not getting younger boy, when are you settling down and give me some grandkids huh?' my mom said with her voice breaking.

'haibo maZulu. Im still very much young and it's seems like uyakhohlwa ukuthi you have three sons mama and 2 daughters who are all very much capable of giving you what you're asking for. As for coming back home mama I will come sonner than you think. ' I try assuring her cause y'all my mom is dramatic asf.

' Qhawe there are many beautiful and respectful girls back home and you know I just want the best for you which is why I think you should come back home and try meeting up with maDlamini's daughter uSimphiwe. She's a great person and she's doing her third year in law mntanami I just want you to meet someone who's driven and ambitious as yourself'.she says trying to convince me and I know uSimphiwe and honestly she's not my cup of tea. I like mine young and fresh.

'look maZulu we'll talk a call us coming through. Ngyakuthanda mama'.i say and quickly drop the call to just put an end to this dreadful conversation. I swear my parents will drive me crazy one day. If it's not her it's my dad telling me about taking over the business and getting married yoh hayi.

I decide to wake up and clean around the crib, not that it's dirty but I guess I'm just a clean freak. I use cleaning as my way of distressing and after an 2 hours Im done and I just order some pizza because I'm just too drained to cook. As I'm waiting for my delivery I decide to stroll through my insta account and stalk Mbali and I see that she posted something. With too much curiosity I click on her account and she has posted herself wearing a bikini  and another one where she's hugging a guy but the photo only shows the guys head. I'm so pissed right now and the conversation that we had earlier that I've been trying to avoid comes flooding in my mind.

'I'm a virgin' plays in my mind endlessly and I contemplate calling her but then I decide to give her space to cool down. Mbali is a great person but she's also childish. The pizza guy comes and I pay and take my food. Honestly I don't even have an appetite anymore but I just eat and then hit the books again. I study until it's 2am in the morning and then I go and dip with mbali's words ringing in my mind.

MBALENHLE NKOSAZANA

When the lift arrives at the basement I bolt for my car and get the fuck out of Qhawe's building. I see him arriving through the cars mirror while I'm driving out. I speed through the robots and I'm even shocked how I arrived home still in one piece because my mind wasn't really there.