two

mischief

11:52 pm. Central Hall.

The long, winding hallways of the castle kept me in the loop for about... an hour now. It's now been one full month since I first stepped into Hogwarts, and making a mental map of this place has not been easy. I don't see how most of the students navigate themselves throughout this castle without being late to their classes.

After reading Sebastian's letter a couple hours prior to me sneaking out of my common room, hundreds of wandering thoughts lingered in my mind, as the castle's deafening silence filled my ears with an unfamiliar hum of white noise. Prior to this midnight venture, I had caught up with Professor Fig in his classroom in hope to learn more about this form of magic I hold. Contrary to my hopes, Professor Fig mentioned that the Ministry had yet been caught up on my progress with the magic itself and that the knowledge that I had been dying to know more about for a whole week, now had to be postponed for one more week.

a few hours prior:

"I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But, have trust in me, I'm expected to receive a response from the Ministry in about a week's time, Evangeline. I will owl you as soon as I can with an update." Disappointment wove itself through the words of Professor Fig as I stared back at him with a slight frown.

"A whole week, professor?" I questioned, desperation clear in my tone. Professor Fig flashed a sympathetic smile towards me. "No need for impatience, child. I'm sure you'll learn more about the magic by yourself as the week passes on. If you do, please keep me informed! The field guide was created for that sole purpose, of course." He beamed, seemingly very proud at the book that sat comfortably in my lap.

I eyed at the ring I wore on my right index finger. The stones glisten with the sun's rays that swam its way through the glass windows, specks of the rainbow's colors reflecting onto my face as I smiled softly at the piece of jewelry.

"Ah, I see you received the extension of your field guide." Professor Fig comments.

"Extension, professor?" I tilt my head to the side, mimicking a curious puppy glancing at its owner.

"Exactly! The ring's titular stone was crafted using smaller forms of the very same ancient magic you possess. Crafted by a close friend who resides in north London, specialized in creating jewelry specifically made for wizards and witches."

The elaboration into the ring only made me feel more grateful for such a creation. Though its functions and benefits it had to my harnessing of ancient magic was still quite unclear to me.

"Uhm... what does it exactly do, Professor?" I inquired.

Professor Fig had placed the piece of parchment that he had been closely examining down onto his desk and fixed his attention onto me.

"Each time you encounter a situation, whether it's you gaining ancient magic or using it, the center stone's color changes with the amount of ancient magic you hold within that moment. The darker the stone color gets, the more magic you have. Colors typically range from the baby blue it is right now," He points towards the ring once more, causing me to look back down at it.

"To a deep Sapphire blue. Similar to how Moonstone looks." Professor Fig finishes.

My eyes glistened with a layer of excitement and curiosity; the thought of this beautiful ring changing its appearance as I gain more magic was a thought that drove excitement throughout my body, yet a hint of fear tugged at my heartstrings.

"What happens when I have too much magic within me, Professor?" I was hesitant to ask this question, due to me already asking so much out of the man who didn't have a clear idea on my abilities with ancient magic.