14

A stab in the dark
~
Erisa
~

This was beyond Erisa.

She knew that.

Hell, she practically screamed it in her head as her boots stalked across the sheen fog, the moisture oozing into her black jeans and making her frostier than before. Hugging her leather jacket tighter around herself to fight off the chilly air, she reminded herself why she had to do this.

Tristan was in Accalia's old room, and Rexton was bunking in the lounge room and paying his full attention to the screen. Accalia and Cadence had just slipped past a head of bushes and deeper into the woodland, heading to the healer's cabin and further from Erisa's prying gaze.

Cadence was unfazed by what happened at the nightclub, but Accalia was left shaken, demanding they go to the healer as soon as they set foot in Fenris lands to check Cadence's wound.

It was a window of opportunity, an offering that would come on a blue moon, but would it be deemed a lapse in judgment?

Erisa knew what her friends would think of this. An act of betrayal, a sway in faith — a Judas kiss.

But Erisa knew in the auras of her soul she wouldn't be swayed, she wouldn't be unfaithful and she would not fall for the Alpha of Death.

Even if Accalia and Cadence perceive it as such.

The fog lifted and Erisa's boots dug deeper into the earth as if wishing to keep her planted into the soil with no path to follow.

Erisa stalked on and when she saw the flaming torch outside of the cellar, she couldn't say her breathing eased.

He would probably sense her — feel her before he saw her.

Anxiety rippled up Erisa's spine to her head when he had caught onto her scent hours before he even clapped eyes on her.

He was primal and tormented.

Taking cautious steps down the staircase, Erisa ignored the potent odour of sweat, urine and rot that shrouded her and trained her eyes on the two male werewolves rather than the creature behind bars.

One guard with a scarred face immediately was at the end of the stairs and gave Erisa a wild look.

"Hunter," he hissed and looked her up and down with a wrinkling nose. "You can't be down here."

Most lycans and werewolves of the Fenris pack were familiar with the hunters that walked in and out of their lands. They weren't pleased by it, but few had loyalty towards Lycus's mate.

Erisa swallowed her anxiety and said, "We had an issue earlier with two guards that weren't doing their duties. Accalia sent me to check in."

The lie came as slick as her self-assured expression and she would make it out to be the truth.

The other guard who was posted close to the bars shifted on his feet and faced Erisa with a shark grin. "Does it look like we're trying to suck this piece of shit off?"

The word of Cora's activities certainly spread like wildfire.

The guard closest to Erisa barked with laughter and stalked back over to the other end of the cellar, reigning in a hard stance.

"What a crazy bitch, she can't have Alpha Lycus so she tries another? A mutt who works with vampires?" The scarred guard barked and angled his head toward the cell, face contorting in disgust.

Erisa heard no sound come from the cellar that was cloaked in darkness, the only light that was spared was the torches sticking to the walls of the dungeon.