39

Swaying loyalties
~
Cadence
~

"I'm going to stab you in the eyes."

Cole's face morphed into that of curiosity and concern. "And why is that?"

"Because," Cadence reached over before Cole could do one more caress on her friend's hair and wrapped her hand around his wrist in a vice grip.

She would be no match against him, a hunter against a lycan such as him, but she wanted to make her message clear.

Cadence flung his hand at him on the other side of the bar with a sneer. "You can't stop looking at her like she centres your world."

Not only did Cadence hate his actions, his tender, soft caresses, she knew Erisa wouldn't like it either. And as her friend slept soundly, away from all this torment the castle brought, she wouldn't allow Cole to have his filthy, stained fingers on Erisa.

Cole settled back, pulling his hands up in mock defence. He was amused, easy-going eyes that were alight with interest. He levelled that stare down at Erisa that slept off the hours the moon took from her.

"She does though," Cole stated simply and his gaze softened, pupils dilating. "Centres ... me." 

Cadence grunted and leaned her back to the wall, her nerves grating to the tittering edge. "You aren't deserving of a girl like her."

Cole sheepishly grinned at Cadence, teeth pearly white but there was something rotten about it.

"And what? I deserve someone like Adriana?"

Cadence pulled a snarling smile on him.

What did those two people share? They have ignited wars, harmed others, and have done it only for their selfish selves. Their similarities dipped lower than that, they shared the common interest in eating others.

Cole killed people. Adriana killed people. Cole had hurt people closest to Cadence. Adriana had hurt people closest to Cadence.

Adriana killed Tristan.

Cole paved the way for how they ended up in Adriana's grasp.

And from where Cadence sat, their times of killing and hurting people weren't over yet. They should be mated.

"Exactly. You two are perfect for each other. And one day, I imagine you both reuniting in hell because that's where I'm going to put you both." Cadence felt kindly enough to inform him.

"That's if you ever get out of here,"

Cadence side-eyed him and took in the many bite marks on him, silver cutting its way up her throat, "I should have let Erisa slit your throat, the only reason why I didn't is because she would have turned on us. Your existence has ... dwindled. You're not even an Alpha anymore, you don't have a mate, and you're nothing but a disposable bitch that will be drained dry by the one person that you thought ever gave a single damn about you. You're nothing but a dog waiting to be put down, Cole."

There was a stifling pause.

And then wayward shock struck his face. Uncontrolled and troubled shock that crossed over every unmoving feature on his gaunt, withered face.

Then it vanished and he smirked maliciously, threading his hand through the bar to reach for Erisa again. His routine continued, gentle petting as he worked his fingers through the black strands of her hair.

If he was trying to find a weak point, he found it.

Cole smoothed over Erisa's hair routinely and gave Cadence a harsh glare. "I could make things difficult for Lycus,"