3 - The Reaper

The Monks of History were lined up in a semi circle around their newest creation at the Unseen University grounds. It had been many years since their last blundering attempt to create a similar glass clock that stopped time completely. It had failed miserably. 

     This new clock was different. Instead of glass, this smaller designed wrist watch had been crafted with shards from the shell of the Great A'Tuin itself. Being the only creature to actually know where it was going, the shell shards of the Great A'Tuin were the perfect ingredient for time-travel.

     The watch was on full display. Not protected by any casing, it sat high up on a pedestal of red velvet cushions that had been wheeled out to centre stage. The Monks had decorated the display with offerings of shells, beads, and crystallized minerals as a sign of respect to the Great A'Tuin and as a symbol of their devotion and thanks.

     When Zaphod and his entourage arrived on stage at the Unseen University's ceremony, the crowd began to cheer. Thousands had turned out for the event. Zaphod also brought Marvin with him and his speech consultant, along with three good looking Centuri women in questionable clothing, whom he strutted about with while waving at the congregation.

     These were the times when Zaphod would never complain about his job as President. The student witches and wizards in the audience roared and dazzled everyone present with a magical light show as a greeting. The Monks remained somber through this display of affection, though on one or two faces the slightest hint of a smile began to form at the base their cheeks.

     Zaphod and his following walked up on to the stage where the Monks stood around Darwin's Watch and took their designated places. The crowd began to settle down as the first speaker stepped up to the podium to begin the speeches.

    It was Lu-Tze, one of the more popular History Monks, known for getting the Safeguard involved in every dispute against those who would speak against the Way of Mrs. Cosmopolite.

     "Good day fellow citizens. As you know, it is with honour and respect that we gather here today to celebrate the Great A'Tuin and the heavy sacrifice It makes for us for all eternity."

     If Zaphod had a choice in the matter, this is where he would have fallen asleep. He knew there would probably be more than one or two others to speak before he had a chance to step up to the podium. He began to fidget. He leaned over to Marvin and whispered in what would be the android's ear, if he had a set.

     "Is your codex still in place, little buddy?"

     Marvin made a sound that could be construed as annoyance. "Where else would it be sir?"

   "Relax, relax. Just making sure you remember what it is you are supposed to do."

     "I would trade my power insert to forget it sir. I still don't see the.."

     "Dammit, Marvin." Zaphod interrupted.  "This isn't about you or me or anyone out there. This is about being President. This is about wanting to get the most out of my job. Can't you see that?"

     "No sir, of course I can't see that. I can't really see anything. I only interpret infra red signals and sound waves. Why should I care about getting the most out of life? No one cares if I get the most out of my brain. It never gets to do anything important."

     "You don't think what you will do here today is important?" Zaphod was disappointed.

     "I'm not doing anything sir. From what I understand you will be doing all the work, I just have to steer."

     "Damnit, Marvin. Ok, yes. Today you might only have to steer, but think of the bigger picture! You'll be the first android on Discworld to time travel. You'll get to return to your first home, Sirius, and see all your old friends."

    "I've never had friends,  sir. You know that. Who would want a friend like me?"

     Zaphod and Marvin both let out a sigh, Marvin from artificial exasperation and Zaphod from pure frustration.

     Though there was another watching this small exchange between the President and his android. Someone whom most of the students would not be able to see. Nor would Marvin, being an artificial life form who technically could never truly die. He would receive no data of this other's presence.

     Slowly, the other made its way through the ovation of Monks. Cloaked in its own magic, it snuck up behind Zaphod and reached out with its free arm to grasp the President by the back of his neck. Zaphod gasped and turned around.

     Instantly, Death appeared before him. It's huge skeleton draped in a thick black robe towered over Zaphod by a few good feet. It's scythe gleaming as it caught the disc's sunlight. Death stared him down until Zaphod shrunk back and reluctantly began to raise his arms.

     He then noticed that everything and everyone around him seemed to become as still as statues, as if frozen in time.

     That's because they are frozen in time, old friend.

     Zaphod blinked and then looked up at Death, remembering who it was and what it was doing there and how he had heard his voice. "Oh man, you got me. You always knew how to sneak around with the best of them, you old bastard."

     Death let out a bellow of a silent laugh and pulled Zaphod closer and into half an embrace.

     "You're just in time for the show," joked Zaphod.

     Don't be a fool, Z. I am the show.