Book 2: Chapter 3

-HER-

"That's a rather special case," Madam Valarie commented as soon as I was done telling her about it. Though I still had been careful not to give too much away. She was a stranger, after all, and no matter what, I still felt a little bit uncomfortable while telling her about such things.

The one question still lingered in my mind— can I trust her?

I didn't know. Only time could answer it, but for now, I told her the basic things without giving too much away. Surprisingly, she didn't ask for it and patiently listened as I rambled everything that came to my mind. I didn't realize I had bottled up so much until I started rambling while half crying.

"So, have you heard from him lately?" She asked cautiously.

"No," I sniffed, fighting my tears, but they were already rolling down my cheek. She almost sighed in relief.

"Well, even if he tries to talk to you, don't engage," She told me.

"Well, I don't know if I'd be able to do that. I still want to know why he ended it the way he ended it," I sniffed, wiping my tears and trying my best not to look like a mess, but all my efforts went into vain. I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror in the parlour, and I almost jumped out of my skin when I saw my swollen, red and ugly face from crying.

Although Madam Valarie didn't seem to care that much about it. She never gave me any judgemental reaction while I was telling her everything. I am sure if it were my aunt at her place, she'd already had my head on a stick.

"Well, I can understand that, but it's important. You need to stop letting him have any influence on you. Just act indifferent to his presence and his memories," She suggested, but whatever she told me seemed impossible to do. Walking on water seemed easier than what she was telling me to do. The only thing stopping me from disintegrating into a hot mess was that I hadn't seen him since the day he left me on the doorstep of my uncle's house.

I was sure that if I were to see him, I'd have acted like the biggest fool alive on this planet, but that was the only response I knew to this situation. I needed to understand why he acted like that. What did I do? Was it my fault? Why did he dump me like a pile of unwanted things? I had a million questions to ask him. All these questions kept me awake at night, thinking, contemplating, regretting and blaming myself for everything that happened.

Maybe, he realized I was not good enough for him. Currently, this was the only reason that made sense to me, but then, it made me wonder if I was ever good for him. Was it all just a time pass for him?

Having my head buzzing with all these thoughts was pushing me closer and closer to insanity. Every day, I woke up and tried my best not to think about such things by keeping myself busy with work or ignoring them, pushing them down and pretending that they didn't exist. However, I knew that things couldn't be like this always. All of it would come back to haunt me again and again.

I needed closure from him. That was the only way I could have some peace with myself... or maybe, I don't know. He might tell me things that destroy me forever. Either way, I wanted a closer from him. I wanted the truth, whether it was ugly.

"How do I do that?" I asked.

"Well, the first step is to stop crying," She stated.

"I'm trying," I muttered, sniffing and wiping my tears, but I couldn't stop crying.

"And the second step is to find yourself a suitor," She announced, stunning me. I stared at her for a long second, unable to believe what she had told me.