Chapter 5. Adam

Mya's POV

Due to Linc's suicide attempt, he was made to stay in the psych unit for a week. During that week, I worked with him after my shift because we had to cancel his morning appointments, as they refused to let him out for being high-risk.

That week wasn't easy. Linc didn't want to work with me, but I gave him no choice. Linc thought for sure that he was wasting his time until Friday morning when he woke up and wiggled his toes on both feet. It was the happiest I had seen him the entire time I had been back. He was beyond excited to tell me about it Friday. I congratulated him but told him we still had a long road ahead of us. 

Saturday morning, I walked into the hospital to pick him up. I had no choice but to bring Lilly with me, and I hoped he wouldn't mind. 

The nurse led me to his room, where he was sitting in his wheelchair, dressed and stuffing a few other clothes into his bag. 

"Lincoln, your ride is here," the nurse said.

He turned around, and his eyes immediately locked with Lilly. Shock crossed his face, and then he gave her a small smile. He looked at me with a puzzled expression. "Um, hi," he said.

"Hey, I hope you don't mind, but I had to bring Lilly. Mom and Dad left early this morning. Work-related, I believe."

"Not at all." His eyes danced in amusement when he looked back at Lilly. He wheeled his chair toward her. 

She looked away shyly.

"Lilly, this is Linc."

"Hey, gorgeous. Anyone tell you that you are identical to your mom?" 

She blushed and smiled at him. "Yeah. Grammy and Pop-pop say it a lot."

Linc chuckled. "I'll bet they do."

"Your Momma's ex-boyfriend."

I facepalmed and sighed. "I'm sorry. Mom and Dad brought it up at dinner one night."

Linc laughed. "It's okay. Yes, I am."

"You're my older brother's dad. Momma gets sad about him all the time."

How did she even know that? "Lil, you are killin' me," I said. I was in a state of shock that she was being so blunt with him. Did she feel threatened or jealous by Linc's presence? I wasn't sure if she was acting out because she missed her dad and thought Linc would try to step into that role or if she just liked him and wanted to talk to him. This conversation wouldn't help Linc's mental state.

He gazed up at me with regret, anger, and sadness in his eyes. 

"Again, I'm so sorry. I had to bring her with me. I haven't found a sitter yet."

"No, no, it's okay," he said. His voice was thick with emotion that he was clearly trying to bite back. 

"Yes, Lilly. Your brother was quite something. I got to see him and hold him before he passed away. I have pictures of him too. He was beautiful. He looked a lot like your mom too. He fought hard, but babies are just so fragile, and the accident really hurt him."

"The accident Momma has bad dreams about?" Lilly wondered. She let go of my hand and walked closer to him, which stunned both of us.

Linc looked at me. "Are you still having nightmares?" he murmured.

"Okay, I really think we should go," I pressed.

Lilly crawled into Linc's lap. The fact that she had stepped closer to him stunned us, but crawling into his lap left both of us baffled.